Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help-Nippon pick-up coil wiring!

:confused: Am replacing the pick-up coil on my 89 GL e81 OHV and lost the wiring diagram I wrote down for hooking the distributor pick-up coil to the ignition coil (and also need to double-check I have the wiring harness wires on the correct terminals). Thank you.

Sorry Dan, as far as I know there was not

an EA81 imported to the US in 1989

Your "hatch" must be something special or

it is what some of us call a

"3 door Coupe".

I am assuming you mean the

ingniter in the distributor?

If it is an EA81?

If it is an EA82, it has no igniter

as

in that year they all had

CAS (Crank Angle Senors)

Please answer this question.

l

l

V

Is the distributor up front on the engine

or

back below the master cyl?

Sorry Dan, as far as I know there was not

an EA81 imported to the US in 1989

Your "hatch" must be something special or

it is what some of us call a

"3 door Coupe".

I am assuming you mean the

ingniter in the distributor?

If it is an EA81?

If it is an EA82, it has no igniter

as

in that year they all had

CAS (Crank Angle Senors)

Please answer this question.

l

l

V

Is the distributor up front on the engine

or

back below the master cyl?

The distributor is in front of the engine. It is an ea81, that's what's cast into the block above the engine number. I was given the name of an independent mechanic by a Subaru dealer who used to be their tech in the late 70's and the 80's whom they still use when they get the old ones in that this was a carry-over vehicle from the earlier 80's and is the 2-door hathback GL whereas the 3-door hatchback GL is the 2-headlight body style. And from the first repair(brakes), getting the wrong part from Auto zone when looking up an 89 GL, we kept going back through their part numbers for something different and landed on the 86 Brat, which were then correct. So that's what I've always used for parts. This is a Brat with a hatch body.

89 was the last year of the ea81 Hatchback. They are kinda rare beasts though. I'll go out and check my hatch in a little bit to see how it does.

Thanks, I really appreciate your guys help. As I responded above, I've found that out and it's nice to find a place with others who have discovered and enjoy and appreciate the uniqueness of these older Subes. I'm sold on mine and that's why I won't get rid of it yet. Simple yet heavy-duty engineering. Haven't been off-roading yet but that's in the future plans when all are off to college and I have extra time and money, and when it's time to over-haul; though at 196,000 i feel I have maybe another 50 or 100. I'll have to do a little more searching after she's running to find out what I could expect. Thanks again guys!