Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys, I'm having a heck of a time with the timing belt on my outback 2.5 dohc i'v read a lot of posts and replies here and the End Wrench article. Most everyone is concerned abou the cam gears. Is it possible to get the crank shaft 180 out with all the timing marks lined up. Ivbe just done the timing belt because the key way ate most of the way round the crank pully,bent all but the A/c drive pullys,and caused me general troubleshooting headaches. The engine was running poorly but still running, and after belt change I cant even get it to start.

Did you fix the keyway and is the timing crank sprocket not have a lot of freeplay, etc?

Use a code reader to check for and codes. Triple check all the timing marks. A couple teeth off and it won't start. Not sure about the dohc but the sohc have arrows and marks on the cam sprockets and the arrows are not the timing marks. Make sure cam and crank position sensors are reinstalled correctly and connected.