Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 Legacy Front strut bushings

I have a 95 Legacy wagon which pulls slightly to the left and sometimes the steering does not come back left properly after a right turn. I took it to the shop and they say the front strut upper bushings need to be replaced. They quoted approx $500.00 and I was thinking I could do this job myself and then take it in for an alignment. Does this sound like it is the problem? I have read other posts here that usually say the control arm bushings are the problem with similar symptoms. How much are these strut bushings worth and is it a big job (their quote says $66 each for the parts)? I have changed the entire strut in a Corolla in the past (without taking it apart to change the bushings). Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

Strut bushings? $500 for the job on one strut (or control arm)? Never go to that shop again.

I think they meant strut tophat (top mount). Its a $30 part, changing it involves renting spring compressor, taking out the strut, changing the top hat and putting the strut back in. Should not take more than 2 hours with hand tools, and probably should be less than 1 hour job with shop tools.

It does sound like the strut mount, it is not hard to change if you already know how to take the strut asmb. out. If you will mark your top strut flange bolt you should not need any alinement after. If you want to check the mount have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the strut arm if the mount is bad you should see the arm jump a little while it is being moved. Just compare it with the other side and you will see. Also you can borrow the spring compressors for a small deposit at most auto chains like Auto Zone or O'Reily's. Be sure and mark the orination of the top hat with your spring with a paint marker it does make a difference how it goes back. The top hat is the metal plate that sets on top of the spring.The small hole in the top hat faces the outside of tire when you put it back into car, or the side nearest you if you are standing by tire and looking towards the engine.

I have a 95 Legacy wagon which pulls slightly to the left and sometimes the steering does not come back left properly after a right turn. I took it to the shop and they say the front strut upper bushings need to be replaced. They quoted approx $500.00 and I was thinking I could do this job myself and then take it in for an alignment. Does this sound like it is the problem? I have read other posts here that usually say the control arm bushings are the problem with similar symptoms. How much are these strut bushings worth and is it a big job (their quote says $66 each for the parts)? I have changed the entire strut in a Corolla in the past (without taking it apart to change the bushings). Any info or tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

do you guys think thats the problem ..the tophat ...hmmm .I just changed my struts and did not put one on and it still pulls alittle to the left and right after bumps .i defently worked on my ride it rides great and no crashing noise over bumps...cool I will look into it..thanks