Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what am I missing out on? (re: head gasket)

So, our 00 forester is at 110k and we have our 2nd HG leak in 3 yrs. Since it's due for the timing belt, we're having the dealer replace that while they are doing HG. now i'm going back and looking at some older posts and folks recomend doing water pump and an assortment of seals.

I understand the concept of preventative maintenance, and under normal circumstances, I might go ahead and do the whole kit an kaboodle. But $$ is tight this month, and I'm already upset enough about having to do the HG again.

Here's my Q: what will it cost me to replace some of these items at a later time? in other words, is a lot of the labor redundant (as in the case of timing belt while doing HG)? so what would be the marginal cost of getting some of these items replaced now while the engine was apart vs. what it would cost to do this on a separate visit.

thanks.

I have the forrester blues too. im kinda ticked off about the quality of the newer subarus, i had to reseal the front engine seals at 60k miles, very dissipointing, new front struts and ball joints and tie rods at 88k, whats happening to the quality of this car maker. i feel your pain brother..

So, our 00 forester is at 110k and we have our 2nd HG leak in 3 yrs. Since it's due for the timing belt, we're having the dealer replace that while they are doing HG. now i'm going back and looking at some older posts and folks recomend doing water pump and an assortment of seals.

I understand the concept of preventative maintenance, and under normal circumstances, I might go ahead and do the whole kit an kaboodle. But $$ is tight this month, and I'm already upset enough about having to do the HG again.

Here's my Q: what will it cost me to replace some of these items at a later time? in other words, is a lot of the labor redundant (as in the case of timing belt while doing HG)? so what would be the marginal cost of getting some of these items replaced now while the engine was apart vs. what it would cost to do this on a separate visit.

thanks.

The waterpump will leak, so it will give a warning before a mechnaical failure.

Look at the labor charge on the bill. Thats what it will cost to replace any of the leaky seals in the future. If the HG is being replaced, there should be no labor charge for replacing the timing belt (if that is what your asking). They have to remove the timing belt to get to the seals, water pump, and oil pump.

nipper

All 99-current Foresters, 2000 to current Legacy/Outbacks should have the Subaru Conditioner added at each coolant change ( that's every 30K ). The conditioner is under $5 from the dealer and prevents external head gasket leaks which show up at the lower rear of these engines. In early 2003 Subaru once again put a different improved version of their head gasket from the factory, but still recommends adding the conditioner at each coolant service.

The 99-02 vehicles were part of a Subaru recall ( WP-099 ). Where the dealer added the conditioner. Then with proof of it being added at each subsequent coolant service, Subaru warrents these against external leaks up to 100K. I know of 3 people so far who have had their's replaced with more than the standard 60K warrenty, but under 100K.

2003 and newer have it in from the factory and are suggested to add it at every change, so Subaru did not warrent these past the factory 60K.

The waterpump will leak, so it will give a warning before a mechnaical failure.

Look at the labor charge on the bill. Thats what it will cost to replace any of the leaky seals in the future. If the HG is being replaced, there should be no labor charge for replacing the timing belt (if that is what your asking). They have to remove the timing belt to get to the seals, water pump, and oil pump.

nipper

The HG will cost $850 or so and the timing belt would be changed for the price of the parts only. So, it makes sense to do it if I was already going to change the timing belt anyway.

My question is specific to the water pump and some of the other "recomended" work that should be done at this age/mileage. what is the marginal cost of getting the water pump changed if I am getting the HG done? in other words, how much more money will I have to spend? Then as a separate question, how much would it cost to replace the water pump as a SEPARATE job.

What I'm getting at is that I am trying to be cheap this month. In doing so, am I missing out on the opportunity to get "free labor" while the engine is apart for the HG job?

EDIT: apparently I can't read and after re-reading nipper's post, I see I may have to pay for labor all over again if I elect not to change some of these additional items now.