Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sorry for the simple question, but I've searched and still haven't found the answer...

I bought a maplight from subarugenuineparts.com, and am going to install in in my 96 outback wagon. From previous posts, I know I need to tap into the dome light power...

What is the best way to do this? I haven't got under the headliner yet to check things out, but if someone doesn't mind, I could use a little instruction.

Thanks in advance for helping out a rookie, I greatly appreciate it.

**edit** Got the map light today, and included is EVERYTHING needed, instructions, wire tap, even template for the hole in the headliner. B e a u tiful **edit**

Pop the cover off of the dome light, and pull the two screws. ease the light down, and pop the connectors off the back. One of the wires will be a ground provided by the door switches, the othe will be a constant 12v. This wire is the one you want to splice into. Fish a wire down to the front of the headliner.

You will need to remove the two sunvisors at their base, and the mirror. Just pull the mirror off, then remove the screws. gently pull the front of the headliner downby the windshield, just enough so you can see where the metal bracket in the roof is. Start with a small hole in the headliner, using a sharp knife. Expand and test fit the lights until you get a fit, then splice the wire in and screw it down.

reasemble the mirror and the headliner. done.

Done and done. 15 minutes and I have a map light, and a new tweeter kit. Thank you subaru for being so easy to work with.

Anybody that doesn't have a map light in your 95-9(9?) **legacy**, buy one from subarugenuineparts.com for 6 bucks, and install it. Really spruces up the joint.

eagle

What does this attach to? Are there holes that it drills into in the car itself, or does it somehow clip onto the headliner? I ask because I'd like to put something like this in my 2001 Impreza but there is no such kit available for models without the sunroof. Thanks