Ultimate Subaru Message Board

95 legacy MT input bearing question

New to the forum, but so far have had many of my questions answered by searching through all the posts. Thanks :)

I have found posts that touched on this subject, but I need a little more information. I am about to drop my manual tranny in my 95 legacy to repair what I suspect to be a bad input shaft bearing. I get a pretty intense rumble with the clutch out, even in neutral accompanied by a nice (temporary) rpm drop. In addition, I am planning to change the clutch and turn the flywheel as preventative maintenance and of course change the fluids. What I don't know is this: Is this bearing replacement job in need of a press, or is it easier to crack the case on the tranny and get to it that way? What I read form another post said that the bearing was sandwiched between the two halves of the case so I don't know if this is the way to go. I also do not know how accessible this bearing is, or if there is another bearing that might be causing the same sound.

Thanks for any input.

Are you sure it's not just the throw out bearing?

I'd suspect that before the input bearing. If you were to replace the input bearing, I'm not sure whether it would need to be pressed on or not. Here's a scan of the main shaft...not sure if it helps

http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/subaru_manual_scans/FSM_Scans/MT_main_shaft_assy.jpg

pilot bearing or throwout bearing may be all you need. those are easy and are part of the clutch system and typically come with a clutch kit, i replace them with every clutch.

if it's an input shaft bearing, that'll be inside the case and will require disassembling the transmission.

i thumbed through some threads on here using the search function in the past year and got some good information for a friend of mine. i recall reading some information on diagnosing different trans/clutch related bearing noises, you might want to try to find those threads with the search.

Legacy777 thanks for the scan. Will come in handy if I need to get into the transmission.

I'm sure it's not the throwout bearing as that would make noise when the clutch is depressed rather than released. Plus I have replaced it before along with the clutch and the problem persisted.

The pilot bearing was also replaced when I had replaced the clutch a couple years ago. At that time, the transmission noise was already going on (although it was quieter then). Replacing the clutch and both bearings made no change in the noise.

The car is AWD and was purchased used from a dealer in 99 or so. There was no noise at that time or for a few years thereafter.