Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Maintenance schedule for 2003 Legacy

Is the maintenance for the 2k3 same as a 95? It was bought used "certified" with 39900 on it when the dealer got it in November and 41000 on it when I drove off with it. Should I do any maintenance off the bat? Are the plugs hard to get at? My 95 Legacy was a breeze.

If someone could post the maintenance schedule for me, that would be great.

Thanx,

Pete

Pete,

Register the car at:

https://my.subaru.com/login/login.jsp

You will need the VIN

Then you can not only see the Service History as Subaru knows of it, You can also look at the Maintenance intervals, Recommended services, and keep a history of services online at the Subaru site if there is any future need for warranty repairs.

Also online there will be the Owners Manual

your 03 engine is different than the 95...but not by much. the 03 should be an EJ25 2.5 liter and your 1995 was an EJ22 2.2 liter. same basic motor, they are even interchangeable without much effort.

one main difference is that you now have 105,000 mile timing belt internvals instead of 60,000. and if it's an auto trans you now have a screw on filter that your 1995 didn't have.

it should have come with a service manual, all of your maintenance and service information is in there. if you don't have one, you should get one or look it up online.

There was a service history, but the car was previously owned in PA. It does show that the 37500 wasn't done, but the car was sold at 39000 to the dealer. Should I just get the 37500 done now or just wait for the 45000? I get 4 free oil changes a year for the life of the car, so that's pretty cool too.

Just Helping out .... Another Garden State'er ......

By the way .... Did you find the Service history there? Was it serviced by a Subaru Dealer in the past?

in general i'd wait for the 45,000 if you're not experiecing any issues and not going past your oil change iterval.

most of those "services" end up being high dollar items where you're paying alot for minor details.

for example:

Subaru's Certified xx,xxx service:

Check ATF, Check Brake fluid, Check coolant level, Check Brake pads, Inspect tie rods, ball joints, cv boots......

a long list of stuff that really means nothing. it's a quick glance over for $300. If i crawled under your car, popped the hood and 13 minutes later asked for that kind of money you'd call me nuts. But they make a long list and give it a label and it's all of a sudden a signature service and "peace of mind". if you need timing belts, then obviously that's important. but generic "tune-ups" and "xx,xxx" services tend to be pricey for not much if any return. if you don't know much about cars and don't have a choice and want that peace of mind of having it done then you should have it done. if you can glance over the services listed and manage these items yourself then by all means do that and only pay for the services you need. this forum can help you determine which items are "filler", which you can easily glance at yourself and which are legit to take to the shop.