Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What engine would an 86 wagon have?

MPFI and MPFI turbo both use heads with 2 inlets each. Standard uses 1 inlet only on each head. This means standard manifold wont fit on turbo heads. And it is way too much work to wire up MPFI, you may as well drop a legacy motor in.

The RX he wants to put this in is already wired for MPFI. Problem is if you get a non turbo block and put all the turbo stuff on it you will have too high a compression ratio. (9 or 9.5 to 1 for standard pistons, 7.7 is what trubo is supposed to have.

I have the dished low compression pistons. I have everything for ab ea82 turbo but the block and crank which were both damaged. I converted to an ea81 out of an old wagon and put a re ring kit in it and it did well, but I should have replaced the oil pump as it failed. I need a crank for an ea81.

I'm converting a Carbed block into a turbo right now actually. Physical differences are small, and can be solved with a few plugs(ASV pipe holes, EGR)

The only real big difference is the lack of the baffle plate/vent for the case. I've heard that's no big deal, seems like it shouldn't be, as the case can still breath through the valve covers.