Ultimate Subaru Message Board

intake manifold bolt question

Do you guys think i could get away with unbolting one bolt on my intake manifold to take off the air cleaner mount and then bolting it back down without disturbing the gasket? There is also an emissions things that im going to want to do the same thing to. I guess my question is can i get away with unbolting one bolt per side without affecting my intake gasket seal?

I guess my question is can i get away with unbolting one bolt per side without affecting my intake gasket seal?

Probably not. I broke one off while trying to do that exact same thing (remove manifold bolt, take off a bracket & replace manifold bolt) and had a consistent coolant leak at the manifold gasket until I replaced the broken bolt and replaced the gaskets.

In short, leave the manifold sealed if you don't have any current leaks in it.

I'd have to disagree with pisces_0. I have removed just one of the bolts before for access to something(I forget what) but I've done it several occasions. As long as you don't break the bolt. Some are really rusty and prone to breaking, but most I've seen just come right out after. I would resnug all of them when done. I have never had an intake manifold leak, from doing this or otherwise.

Removing one bolt from the intake manifold SHOULD not disturb the seal at all. IF, however, that bolt presents difficulty, then you are liable to have more problems.

That is the conclusion to be drawn here. Give the bolt a shot. Unless the bracket in question is somehow configured such that IT disturbs the gasket (it IS on top of the manifold, right?) then as long as the bolt breaks loose easily, you are golden.