Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I want to add a pop-up sunroof to the 'Legato', so I can keep my windows shut in traffic and still have ventilation.

Any recommendations for manufactureres and or installers in west suburban Chicago?

Seem like something the accessory shops would do pretty inexpensively, and would know how to refit the headliner so it doesn't look like a total paste job.

Thanks.

mpergielelmhurstil97legautowagon99foresterL

I'm afraid I can't help you in your local area but just to reassure you: two of my friends both got popup sunroofs installed in cars at Speedy Autoglass shops and they were both done very well.

I'm afraid I can't help you in your local area but just to reassure you: two of my friends both got popup sunroofs installed in cars at Speedy Autoglass shops and they were both done very well.

Thanks, I'll start with auto glass shops.

• 3 weeks later...

I did it myself. Easy enough. About 3 hours work. Didn't leak in the first hard rain.

I installed an SFC Newport 1432, $145. in my 97 Legato AWD wagon. (I was quoted $600 to $900 by local shops.)

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/popupkits.htm

Not mfg. recommended for Outback due to stepped roof. Forester requires repositioning of dome light or something. See mfg. notes on site.

Makes a big difference. Much nicer. Now onto the AC.

Installation hints in addition to the manual:

Using a shear is highly recommended. Keepin the cut edge as flat as possible is important, since the lip of the sunroof is also flat. I used a HF drill type stright shear, which worked excellent for the straight cuts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92115

Cutting around the corners with a straight shear is tricky and the resulting edge took some cleaning up with a sander drum. I am not sure what I would do next time. Maybe a "uni-shear" type too would work. Or a cutoff wheel, but that would make a lot of dust. On my Legato Wagon there is a glued on sheet steel cross bar I had to cut through with some avation snips.

Basic procedure:

Check template on inside ceiling, mark point to roof, align and tape template on outside, mark and cut roof steel along line.

Cut headliner 2 inches in from cut edge (to give fabric overlap), pull fabric back, cut rest of fiberglas headliner backing away to 1/2 larger than flush with hole.

Remove glass and hinges from frame.

Dry fit frame. Sand hole edges to fit. Debur and rust treat exposed edge.

Apply butyl sealant to edge. Insert frame. Insert frame backer from inside, tighten screws toward corners.

Tuck headliner material into frame at hinges, screw hinges and catch back on.

Tuck headliner material into frame as you insert binding finish strip around. Malleting the strip pulls the fabric tight.

For an old car, it's great. There is no provision for drainage, as on a proper sunroof, but I don't live in Oregon, and this SFC company has been around for a while, so I took the chance. Replacement glass and gaskets are available.

The trickiest thing was drilling that first hole in a perfectly good roof. :eek: Pics to come.

I recommend it and the supplier.

mpergielelmhurstil97legato99forester

I did it myself. Easy enough. About 3 hours work. Didn't leak in the first hard rain.

I installed an SFC Newport 1432, $145. in my 97 Legato AWD wagon. (I was quoted $600 to $900 by local shops.)

http://www.sunroofdoctor.com/popupkits.htm

Not mfg. recommended for Outback due to stepped roof. Forester requires repositioning of dome light or something. See mfg. notes on site.

Makes a big difference. Much nicer. Now onto the AC.

Installation hints in addition to the manual:

Using a shear is highly recommended. Keepin the cut edge as flat as possible is important, since the lip of the sunroof is also flat. I used a HF drill type stright shear, which worked excellent for the straight cuts.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92115

Cutting around the corners with a straight shear is tricky and the resulting edge took some cleaning up with a sander drum. I am not sure what I would do next time. Maybe a "uni-shear" type too would work. Or a cutoff wheel, but that would make a lot of dust. On my Legato Wagon there is a glued on sheet steel cross bar I had to cut through with some avation snips.

Basic procedure:

Check template on inside ceiling, mark point to roof, align and tape template on outside, mark and cut roof steel along line.

Cut headliner 2 inches in from cut edge (to give fabric overlap), pull fabric back, cut rest of fiberglas headliner backing away to 1/2 larger than flush with hole.

Remove glass and hinges from frame.

Dry fit frame. Sand hole edges to fit. Debur and rust treat exposed edge.

Apply butyl sealant to edge. Insert frame. Insert frame backer from inside, tighten screws toward corners.

Tuck headliner material into frame at hinges, screw hinges and catch back on.

Tuck headliner material into frame as you insert binding finish strip around. Malleting the strip pulls the fabric tight.

For an old car, it's great. There is no provision for drainage, as on a proper sunroof, but I don't live in Oregon, and this SFC company has been around for a while, so I took the chance. Replacement glass and gaskets are available.

The trickiest thing was drilling that first hole in a perfectly good roof. :eek: Pics to come.

I recommend it and the supplier.

mpergielelmhurstil97legato99forester

I've installed a half-dozen or so in cars varying from a Ford Courier pick-up to a Mustang hatchback, and never had a problem with any of them. I never used a shear, just a saber saw with the foot covered with duct tape to protect the roof paint. Just be sure to have someone inside the car when you start out to let you know what's happening with the headliner.

SFC (StretchForm Corp) makes a good aftermarket sunroof. I have installed hundreds of them until we stopped installing them about 5 years ago. SFC is now owned by CR Laurence which is the largest supplier of auto glass and glazier supplies and tools. Would recommend them, but just a word of advice. Atleast once a year, treat the seals to keep them pliable and at the same time, check all fittings to make sure nothing is coming loose. Had a couple break after the fittings for the handle came loose from the glass.