Ultimate Subaru Message Board

weber carb on..now car bucks

Im not sure if its just some settings that need to be resolved or what but my car bucks back and forth while im driving down the road. It didnt do this before. It is also very hard to get going from first and make it smooth. I look like a newb with the clutch cause i cant seem to get it to not buck down and then go. Is there an adjustment or is it just that im not used to the extremely light throttle pedal and resposivness?

Im pretty sure i have the mixture set perfect. Sometimes the throttle doesnt return to idle just because there is not enough force in the return spring to spring the cable back. I have run out of time to figure it out and i will just deal with it for now until Carlisle where maybe i can get some other opinions on the mater :). Thanks Connie. Ill cya either tonight or tomorrow..we still havent made up our minds.

• 1 month later...

Well an update on the situation..i did not have the mixture set right. I was running lean right off of idle..which is what the mixture screws are for and this caused it to buck. I turned the mixture screw out a hair and the bucking practically went away..i think another 1/8 of a turn or less will do the trick..just hope my gas milage wont suffer too much. I was getting 33mpg coming home from Carlisle with my ex.

Well an update on the situation..i did not have the mixture set right. I was running lean right off of idle..which is what the mixture screws are for and this caused it to buck. I turned the mixture screw out a hair and the bucking practically went away..i think another 1/8 of a turn or less will do the trick..just hope my gas milage wont suffer too much. I was getting 33mpg coming home from Carlisle with my ex.

The mixture screw is only for idle anyway, so will have no effect on gas mileage when driving down the road.

You can change the primary main jet to get better mileage. It's not all that hard. If you have a 140 main jet for example, get a 135 and a 130 and experiment. Don't bother with the secondary main jet. If your foot is into the secondary, you will want the power it will give you anyway.

And at altitude, you will want a leaner main jet anyway, to keep the mixture from getting too rich since there's less air up there. Search for posts with my logon name to find the one with jetting recommendations at altitude.