Ultimate Subaru Message Board

post-312-136027622659_thumb.jpg

post-312-136027622665_thumb.jpg

1993 NA 2.2 Legacy FWD.

I have an intermittant coolant leak. I hate intermittant problems. The location is forward passenger side area (#1 cylinder)

Is this the leak coming from where the arrow is pointing? I occasionally get a puddle of coolant laying there on top of the engine and have ruled out the hose. The puddle can flow back and lay on top of the head as well. Sorry about the 2nd pic... a little out of focus, but it gives a good idea of what I think it is. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Likely:

Upper rad hose clamp

Possible: Idle Air control valve hose loose or cracked.

Aquire (rent a tool at autozone) a cooling system pressure tester. Pump it to 13PSI and watch for leaks/hissing.

Thank you guys for your replies.

The manifold has not been off the car since we've owned it at 89K. It now has 178K. That brings up a weird question, there aren't any coolant lines through the intake are there? Those brown deposits could be a manifold leak right?

Idle air control valve and it's hoses look great. Thanks for that idea.

I tightened the upper radiator hose clamp, and then checked for the tell-tale signs of a leak and didn't find any. I took out a dental mirror to look at the bottom of the hose and found what I think is a leak from the end of the hose as if the hose clamp was loose. I think I'll replace them anyway, even though they look to be in decent shape and then do a pressure test like ShawnW said.

I hope I'm wrong on this but...

I had the exact same problem of coolant pooling on top of my passenger side cylinder bank. It took me a while to notice it since the engine would be hot enough to boil it off (that antifreeze smell...). 95 Legacy 2.2 137,000 miles.

My head gasket was getting old and was leaking coolant to the outside. A pressure test exposed the leak. Fortunately, nothing leaked to the inside and it was a "relatively" inexpensive repair job for both (just to be safe) head gaskets at an independent shop. Less than $1,000.

My head gasket was getting old and was leaking coolant to the outside. A pressure test exposed the leak. Fortunately, nothing leaked to the inside and it was a "relatively" inexpensive repair job for both (just to be safe) head gaskets at an independent shop. Less than $1,000.

Same here.....I assumed it was a slow oil seep at the headgasket. Turned out it was a leading indicator (that I had not realized at the time) that my headgasket was giving out.

I'll be tit's the upper rad hose leaking past the clamp once pressurized. I haven't ever seen an EJ leak coolant to the outside, espescially not up onto the top of the motor!! I think people are too quick to jump to the *headgasket* diagnosis.

Well, I added a bottle of coolant dye from NAPA and black-lighted it. It appears that Gloyale and ShawnW are correct. The upper hose had pinched under the clamp creating a really tiny rip that would only manifest itself under pressure and time. I replaced both top and bottom hoses and clamps and refilled with fresh coolant. Now after 200 miles, all seems well.

Thank you guys for your help.

BTW, I bought one of those $6 telescoping and pivoting mirrors...that really helped locate the leak on the bottom of the top hose. What a handy tool to have!