Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Engine Swap

maxdo

I'm new here and need a lot of help. I have an '86 Brat with the two speed transfer case. The E81 is about done.(250K miles). What is the best and least costly option to upgrade my horsepower? I've heard the mid 90's fuel injected Impreza engine could be installed. Is that right or is there a better way? Would also like to install a 4" lift and larger tires.

Yeah, you can put an impreza or legacy engine in there. Its a little bit of manual labor, but nothing that can't be done. A big hurdle is the wiring for the swap, but there are a few board members who will strip done a harness from the donor car and label what needs to be hooked up for you, at a very reasonable fee for the work involved in that... Check in the Classified Forum under Vendors, you'll see the threads there about it.

If you are going to be offroading the brat, I would also recomend swapping to an ea82 era 5spd d/r transmission at the same time. Bratsrus1 can make the crossmember/shifter modifations to put it in there and look completely stock.

Do some searches of this forum, there are a bunch of people who have done this type of swap into the older body styles. A lot of good information can be found in here. There is also a complete write-up of everything involved that can be downloaded to your computer in .pdf form for your viewing. It is sticky'd at the top of the thread list.

Yes, the Legacy motor is the way togo. I have very little mechanic skills, just basic auto understanding. Im in the middle of a EJ22-EA82 swap right now(EJ22 is a 2.2L legacy motor)and its been suprisingly easy, Yes IT IS A LOT OF work for someone like me, but a very doable job for me. With the help from everyone here on USMB, its made things a TON EASIER. Member Numbchux has a VERY VERY helpful and detailed right up on how to do the swap, and as far as the wiring goes, many of the members here will do it for you(for a small fee). This is what I am doing, all the manuel labor myself, and the complicated wiring I left up to a very experenced member. Trust me Its worth spending the money to know that it is done right!!!!!! The wiring is the most important thing to making this build work. Everyone is very good about anwsering any question you many have very swiftly and correctly.

So if you are wanting to do the swap, with the help of this website and some hard work, it can be done. As far as cost goes, it really depends on how cheap you can find the donor car for. I got mine for 200 bucks, and was able to drive it to my house. http://www.criagslist.org is a great way to find one, thats how i found mine. Once you have the donor car thats really the biggest expence.

Hopfully this will help you, as so many good members here have helped me.

Good Luck Buddy

Tony Walrath pinksock@cableone.net

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: