Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dead A/C fan on '86 GL wagon

I'm having a hard time troubleshooting this one. The fan for the A/C, heater, etc went totally dead. The fuses for the fan and heater are all good. I checked for power at the motor and didn't get any. I pulled the dash cover and put the multimeter on the harness to the switch and can't detect any power to any of the five leads on there. Is there something that would kill power to the switch but not kill the fuse? All four fan positions worked prior to the sudden death.

Any tips for troubleshooting this one? It's getting hot and my A/C is actually functional if I can just get the air to move.

The power for the blower runs through a relay under the dash. It sounds like the relay is causing the problem. You may be able to locate it by tapping on the relays. It might make the blower work.

One thing to note about the circuit is the switch and the speed resistors are on the ground side of the motor load.

I'm not positive on the 86 but on the 87's

it is located above the ECU ->

which is above the drivers left knee when seated.

That is the panel you must remove, take down the ECU

to make room.

Way up in there amoungst the wire jungle

it will share the location with other relays

snapped in to a row.

They all are the same and all look like this

Suberelay.jpg

Hope this helps.

Thanks Skip and Gloyale! Thanks to you two, the relay was easy to locate. It was obviously bad when I pulled the plug and saw the scorched lead. I went up the road to Meridian Auto Wrecking in Graham and found a replacement. They didn't even charge me for it! I plugged it right in and it worked immediately. By the way if anyone is doing this in the future, you don't have to pull the ECU, just the fuse box to access this relay.

Another USMB save!

fanrelay.jpg

Thanks Skip and Gloyale!

By the way if anyone is doing this in the future, you don't have to pull the ECU, just the fuse box to access this relay.

Another USMB save!

You're welcome. Knowing that it's fixed is great, thanks for updateing and great pics. The warm feeling of being connected to working cars driving happy people is the reward for taht makes up for the countless :rolleyes::eek::confused::mad::Flame: 's from the GF. I may have to quit this or she'll be :burnout: