Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I have my 98 Outback with a bad trans, fluid is burnt to a crisp, I have a good trans out of a 95 Legacy with the rearend to go with, what I am wondering is are they the same except for sensors maybe?

they are almost, if not exactly, the same, except for the diff ratio. common wisdom here is to also get the TCU that went with the 95 trans. this will ensure the trans will work, but it will work like a 95 leg not a 98 obw.

my guess is you won't need the TCU but i have no experience to base this on. if you do this swap you will have a slightly lower final drive ratio, 4.11 instead of 4.44.

i would love to know how it drives & handles. the difference may be so small it's not worth mentioning, but subaru chose to put different ratios in the outbac vs. the legacy. but the outback final rdrive ratio was determined by the engine size not the weight of the car. the 97 leg gt sedan has the same rear end as the outback wagon.

Thanks for responding, I appreciate it. They look identical, range switch is different but can be swapped. I think I may have the trans ECU also, I'll have to look. Ripped a bunch of stuff off of the car before it went to the crusher. :( Poor car been off the road since 2003, hated to see it sitting there rotting. Anyways, I anxious to find out how it runs with the 4.11s in it too, should be similar as the 5 speed has 4.11 gears in it.