Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two years ago I had a problem with my Fuel Level Sensor which caused the check engine light to come on. It just happened again. Replacement is near $800 because the fuel level sensor and gas tank fuel pump are all one unit. Has anyone else had problems with this part failing? What kind of action did you take? Recommendations?

The sendor can be replaced separately of the pump. The senders run around $60 or so each, and there are two senders. If both senders weren't replaced, it's possible the other one is giving you problems. I ran into this with my 90 Legacy. Replaced one, still had issues, and then finally replaced the other to fix things.

Its one assembly, its two differnt parts, actually four. The bracket, pump, sensor, and low fuel light. The other sesonsor is just the bracket and the sender.

i'm suspisous of this entire diagnoses. Take it to a dealer or someone else. Its rare for these things to go. Are you sure its not a pressure transducer?

What trouble code are you getting?

This is a very very rare of the car to give trouble, except for them being innacurate.

Its one assembly, its two differnt parts, actually four. The bracket, pump, sensor, and low fuel light. The other sesonsor is just the bracket and the sender.

i'm suspisous of this entire diagnoses. Take it to a dealer or someone else. Its rare for these things to go. Are you sure its not a pressure transducer?

What trouble code are you getting?

This is a very very rare of the car to give trouble, except for them being innacurate.

The code is P0464. It first happened two years ago. I noticed that once in a while the fuel guage would not move when I turned the car off. Then one day "CHECK ENGINE", and the diagnosis was the same - bad fuel sensor. For some reason I thought it was not a warranteeable issue, I was over mileage or something. This is the same thing. Check engine light comes on, car runs fine, but often the fuel guage doesn't reset when I turn the car off. The independant shop I use is very well regarded in the area, I trust them more than any other shop I've ever been to, but I can always go to a dealer and get a second opinion next time it happens. For now they're just resetting the Check Engine light.

The code is P0464. It first happened two years ago. I noticed that once in a while the fuel guage would not move when I turned the car off. Then one day "CHECK ENGINE", and the diagnosis was the same - bad fuel sensor. For some reason I thought it was not a warranteeable issue, I was over mileage or something. This is the same thing. Check engine light comes on, car runs fine, but often the fuel guage doesn't reset when I turn the car off. The independant shop I use is very well regarded in the area.

The gauge goes back to zero when the car is off, my 97/98 doesnt do that.

That is a function of the gauge, not the sender.

Not everyone gets it right 100% of the time, so it may pay to get a second opinion, as i'm not keen on this diagnoses.

nipper