Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale questions

My 84 "rust n' white" wagon is toast. I'm going to look at a 200,000 KM (120,000 mile) 92 Loyale with what appears to be a lifted suspension, and described as a well-maintained, 4wd, 5-speed, wagon with working A/C, and very little rust!!! Aside from the usual drivetrain cautions (I have done brakes, rad, and C/V's on the old one) what would I look for here? I know the 92 engine is different, but not sure of the details.

Timing belts..see when they were done last or if at all..then put that on your first things to do list..if the engine is leaky ( which they almost all are) when doing timing belts its almost a ritual to reseal the engine AND either put a new old pump in or put new gaskets in the old one...they love to suck the micky mouse gasket in that leads to the HLA getting noisey.Also if that all needs done..toss in a new water pump cause if that goes you are in that same area you just pumlled apart.

120,000 ....that thing is still a baby so there should be tons of life left.

the majority of EA82s around are way into the upper 100,000 miles - 200,000 +

The biggest difference from the Loyale and your 82..your 84 EA81 ..push rod carbed...the Loyale EA82 SPFI ..non-interference ( always a plus)..the EA82 has alittle more power .

Others will chime in also...

These wagons sit pretty high,it is quite likely the stock height.

Timing belts are a good bet, quite easy to do. Unless there is leakage, don't bother with the reseal at this point. 200K is nothing.

Check the radiator. You say the body is in good shape, so the rad probably will be good too, as they corrode from the outside in.

Shocks maybe? Clutch?

Have the axles been replaced yet?

If you are looking to keep this car long-term, 120K is a good point to get all your maintenace schedule items caught up. The $$ you spend up-front now, will pay off in better long term reliability.

All the major systems are fair game at this point. Besides timing belts and cooling system, you might want to look at brakes/axles/bearings. If these components are mostly original, a brake system overhaul now might make sense. I'm talking bearings, seals and axle boots too.

The ignition and fuel system might be in need of some attention if it hasn't been serviced in a while. Dont skimp on wires or plugs. Get OEMS (NGK's) if you can afford it. A thorough fuel system cleaning is something that people rarely do, but makes a huge difference in SPFI preformance. Also, pull trouble codes, and deal with any system that is malfunctioning.

Leaks would be normal at 120k. Fix anything you can get to easily. If you have several engine related issues, ant the clutch is getting old, it may be worthwhile to pull the motor and do all of this work at once.

Let me add that you should always try to track down any service records you can get your hands on whenever you buy a vehicle. Even phone conversations with prior owners can be valauble in knowing where you are maintenance -wise. Without any history on the car, you can assume everything will need a good look.

good luck, John

Well, I do appreciate the good advice, folks. I drove the car tonight. Body is rattier than expected. Front fenders were replaced with rust-free ones and rattlecanned black. W/shield is toast, cat has been gutted, performs OK but not any more powerful than my old carbed 84. Rotors are warped, rear susp. bushing (over the diff?) is bad, rad and water pump are brand new, t-belts done recently along with front brakes and one bearing. Clutch and trans OK. A/C blows cold, heater core is sludged up and not too warm. No one item is a deal-breaker but just too many, plus if my wife won't drive it (too beat-up) no sense buying it. I now know lots more than I did about EA82 cars and I'm gonna keep looking. Thanks again