Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi-

I have a '97 OBL MT 2.5 w/ 195,000 mi. I just had the viscous coupling replaced by a transmission shop yesterday and today heard a distinct electrical hum at start up. It's intermittent, eventually goes away, but stays even when I pull the key out.

Is there a connection to the having the tranny open and the VC replaced/ All thoughts appreciated.

Anyone??

Hi-

I have a '97 OBL MT 2.5 w/ 195,000 mi. I just had the viscous coupling replaced by a transmission shop yesterday and today heard a distinct electrical hum at start up. It's intermittent, eventually goes away, but stays even when I pull the key out.

Is there a connection to the having the tranny open and the VC replaced/ All thoughts appreciated.

Anyone??
Perhaps if you could be a bit more descriptive, someone might be able to offer some help. Where does the "hum" seem to be coming from? Why do you think it's electrical in nature?

Since it's evident with the key removed, you might open the hood and see if the source is in the engine compartment. Move around the car and try to localize the sound, then get back to us.

It happened when I put the key in the ignition. It sounds like a radio that is out of tune and at very low volume. When I pull the key out, it is still there, cuts out some and eventually when I start the car, it either goes away or I can't hear it. At some point in the drive, it goes away.

It does seem to be coming from inside the cab, maybe the passenger side? It's possible that the speedometer had some hesitation too of that the power was low, but I could be imagining that.

I'll do some more observing.

Tx.

Perhaps if you could be a bit more descriptive, someone might be able to offer some help. Where does the "hum" seem to be coming from? Why do you think it's electrical in nature?

Since it's evident with the key removed, you might open the hood and see if the source is in the engine compartment. Move around the car and try to localize the sound, then get back to us.

Ah! It's the CD changer under the passenger seat. It appears the magazine is stuck inside. It says E3 code. Does anyone know how to dislodge this magazine?

Thanks!

It happened when I put the key in the ignition. It sounds like a radio that is out of tune and at very low volume. When I pull the key out, it is still there, cuts out some and eventually when I start the car, it either goes away or I can't hear it. At some point in the drive, it goes away.

It does seem to be coming from inside the cab, maybe the passenger side? It's possible that the speedometer had some hesitation too of that the power was low, but I could be imagining that.

I'll do some more observing.

Tx.