Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rear Axle Interchange: Impreza to Legacy?

Does anybody know if the rear axles from a '95 Impreza 2.2 AWD 5 speed will fit on my '95 Legacy 2.2 AWD 5 speed? My rear axles are clicking- probably as a result of my recent torque bind episode and I have a chance to get some lo-mile ones from a '95 Impreza. Checker and AutoZone list them as being the same replacement part, and we know they're NEVER wrong, right?

BTW: I pulled a rear axle off a '93 Legacy, which was also supposed to fit '95, and found the differential side to be completely different.

Does anybody know if the rear axles from a '95 Impreza 2.2 AWD 5 speed will fit on my '95 Legacy 2.2 AWD 5 speed? My rear axles are clicking- probably as a result of my recent torque bind episode and I have a chance to get some lo-mile ones from a '95 Impreza. Checker and AutoZone list them as being the same replacement part, and we know they're NEVER wrong, right?

BTW: I pulled a rear axle off a '93 Legacy, which was also supposed to fit '95, and found the differential side to be completely different.

It should. I like to use http://www.car-part.com as my interchangability service. Just go there and put in what you are looking for and page through the results to see if the other model is listed. For half shafts search for "axle shaft"

Keith