Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help: when to replace timing belt?

Hi guys, some mechanic asked me about my timing belt on an EJ22. I don't know when it was the last time it got replaced (since I bought it just they way it is now). Now, how could I know when to replace it?, and what effect would that have on performance, if any? (I ask since I've been experiencing some power issues especially when hauling people uphill, and I already replaced spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter & air filter and a couple of injectors with only a little improvement in performance).Thanks...:lol:

An EJ22 is a reliable subaru engine.....but not really a powerhouse by any stretch of the imagination.

Unless your timing is off, and gets corrected with a belt replacement...... you wont notice any more power.

The belt SHOULD be changed at about 100k

A few people on here (myself included) have run these belts to the 200,000 mile mark without them breaking.

If it breaks..... you WILL notice much less power

:grin:

Lets try asking this question another way.

Look at the bottom of your timing covers. Are they wet with oil? If so, I would do a timing belt and replace the leaking camshaft seals.

Given the age and milage of most of these cars, you will probably need to address the commonly leaking cam seals before you have to do a timing belt.

The good news is that the timing belt is easy, with the only tricky parts being getting the crank bolt off and depressing the tensioner.

follow your owners manual. it should say 60,000 miles (or whatever that is in km). if you don't know, then you should at the very least have it checked. they can pull the side covers off and tell if it's questionable or really new.

it probably needs done. if you want to keep this vehicle awhile, then you should go ahead and have it done. that's a great more and they last a long time. have the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, oil pump seals (and backing plate screws - they come loose), and cam seals replaced at the same time. all of those items reside behind the timing belt and are very easy to do once the belt it off.

i doubt you'll see any performance increase replacing the belt. it is very rare and odd for a belt to cause a problem like that. probably more likely related to a tune up, bad gas, O2 sensor, MAF sensor dirty (do you use an oiled, K&N filter?)...etc.

did you use NGK plugs (OEM) and Subaru wires? unfortunately your EJ engine is not fond of aftermarket spark plug wires. i've personally seen them run bad with new aftermarket wires. i use Subaru or Magnecor wires only. although...if it is wire related it *should* give a check engine light.