Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whine and Shudder in Steering

I just had the timing belt replaced, after which the dealer said that they detected a whine in the power steering which wasn’t there before and to keep an eye on it. The whine can be very loud, especially when making a sharp turn. Also, when turning sharp there is sometimes a shudder in the steering at slow speeds. During this maintenance, they replaced the head gaskets (warrantee work). Any chance they retightened the serpentine too much and this is causing the steering whine and shudder? Any other suggestions?

Also, my coolant reservoir is filthy. There is a lot of build up and gunk on the reservoir walls. Shouldn’t they do a complete coolant system flush (including the reservoir) after a head gasket replacement?

Thanks!

Resivoir gets that way. Its something almost everyone over looks. You should do it yourself. You can take it back to the dealer, but its only a 30 minute job in the driveway.

Check your belt tightness yourself. Is the shudder in the car while making a turn, or in the steering wheel. Is this an auto or manual?

nipper

PS check the PS fluid level

I just had the timing belt replaced, after which the dealer said that they detected a whine in the power steering which wasn’t there before and to keep an eye on it. The whine can be very loud, especially when making a sharp turn. Also, when turning sharp there is sometimes a shudder in the steering at slow speeds. During this maintenance, they replaced the head gaskets (warrantee work). Any chance they retightened the serpentine too much and this is causing the steering whine and shudder? Any other suggestions?

Also, my coolant reservoir is filthy. There is a lot of build up and gunk on the reservoir walls. Shouldn’t they do a complete coolant system flush (including the reservoir) after a head gasket replacement?

Thanks!

The PS pump takes a surprising amount of fluid. If it's leaking you will see a puddle on top of the right side cylinders. Mine leaks a little, and I bought a rebuild kit from the dealer for $8, and will install it someday for kicks.

Also, my experience with bad ball joints and power steering says: "Check your ball joints."

Resivoir gets that way. Its something almost everyone over looks. You should do it yourself. You can take it back to the dealer, but its only a 30 minute job in the driveway.

I could clean it myself, but I am concerned that they didn't flush the system in the first place. There could still be oil residue in there. This is something I need to talk with them about to make sure, but I didn't see it on the receipt. My question was regarding whether or not it is considered common practice to do a coolant system flush after a head gasket replacement.

Check your belt tightness yourself. Is the shudder in the car while making a turn, or in the steering wheel. Is this an auto or manual?

I have checked the tightness, but really don't know what I am looking for. I can twist the belt a little less than a quarter turn. I can pull it off the pulley maybe a 1/4" or so.

I can feel the shudder both in the steering wheel and the car. The car is a manual. The shudder is occurring way before the stop points.

PS check the PS fluid level

I will do this as well. Thanks.

I could clean it myself, but I am concerned that they didn't flush the system in the first place. There could still be oil residue in there. This is something I need to talk with them about to make sure, but I didn't see it on the receipt. My question was regarding whether or not it is considered common practice to do a coolant system flush after a head gasket replacement.

IMO, a little residual oil in the coolant won't hurt anything. Coolant in the oil is another story, not a good one. Unless there is metal or amounts of other solids in there it is not essential, IMO. The reservoir is easy to remove 2 screws on top and rubber grommet pops out on the bottom.