Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What would cause both window washer pumps to not work?

I did valve cover gaskets a few weeks ago and removed washer tank. Seems fishy. I've pulled the washer tank a few times before to do spark plugs and timing belt and not had this problem.

Fuse is intact and connections are sound.

Any ideas guys?

rd

rd

I had the same problem when my garage had to remove the washer bottle to change the spark plugs at the service.

Strangley you could hear the pumps running but got no water out.

What they had done was put the wrong pipes on the pumps , don't ask me why but with the rear and front swapped over neither worked.

When I took it apart looking for the problem I saw they had connected the pipes the easiest way [ least struggle ] and on my car [ OWB 96 ] that was the wrong way around.

regards paul

I've never swapped the hoses, and so can't verify what Paul said, but it should be easy to tell which is which. Usually the front pump sits lower in the tank than the rear (since running out of fluid for the rear isn't as critical, and tells you that the front will be dry soon, too :) ), and tracing out the front hose isn't a problem.

On the other hand, if that doesn't do the trick, are the pumps actually running?