Ultimate Subaru Message Board

distributor issues

alright, so i spent some more fruitless hours on my distributor today. after i disconnected plugs and the cap and i removed the rotor, i found that the rotor i got from my auto parts store was slightly different from the one on my distributor. the one on there currently has a definite shape on the inside copper part, the one i got from the store is completely circular. other than that, they are the same. i attempted to bolt on the one from the store, but it wouldn't quite line up, which caused me about an hour of pain attempting to line it up while the distributor was connected. so i disconnected the distributor and put the old one back on, then i reconnected the distributor and started the car. the timing is slightly off now, but i think i can figure that out on my own with a light tomorrow. however, the car definately has slight, hesitation and low end power issues.

so, two questions. is there a major difference between these rotors? also, while i was screwing around with the distributor, when i put any pressure on a thick black hose that ran by the distributor to a pump on the front on the engine, i heard a hiss. so i traced the hose to the bolt that it is connected to on the pump and i found that it was loose. i also found a valve right near the bolt that was slightly open. i tightened the bolt and the valve, and im wondering what i did. sorry for the vagueness, but im slightly automotively retarded.

also, i feel like i put the distributor wires on incorrectly, but, if the car starts and runs pretty well, is there any way i screwed it up, or would i definately know?

so, two questions. is there a major difference between these rotors? also, while i was screwing around with the distributor, when i put any pressure on a thick black hose that ran by the distributor to a pump on the front on the engine, i heard a hiss. so i traced the hose to the bolt that it is connected to on the pump and i found that it was loose. i also found a valve right near the bolt that was slightly open. i tightened the bolt and the valve, and im wondering what i did. sorry for the vagueness, but im slightly automotively retarded.

This has me really confused. I don't know where near the distributor there is a skinny hose. The heater hose return line is near there, but it's a fairly large line(5/8 ID, 7/8 OD) and I don;t know what you could mean by a valve. Can you take pictures?

so i'm a moron. sorry, i was trying to go by memory, but i went and looked. i believe what the hose is connected to is the airconditioner pump or something next to the alternator, about the same size. the hose connects from the unit next to the alternator and goest to the air conditioning on the passenger size and has what looks like an air valve on the drivers side of the hose. it looks like a metal hose that is coated in black rubber. upon further inspection, i believe it is a refrigerant line for my air conditioning.

alright, so i spent some more fruitless hours on my distributor today. after i disconnected plugs and the cap and i removed the rotor, i found that the rotor i got from my auto parts store was slightly different from the one on my distributor. the one on there currently has a definite shape on the inside copper part, the one i got from the store is completely circular. other than that, they are the same. i attempted to bolt on the one from the store, but it wouldn't quite line up, which caused me about an hour of pain attempting to line it up while the distributor was connected. so i disconnected the distributor and put the old one back on, then i reconnected the distributor and started the car. the timing is slightly off now, but i think i can figure that out on my own with a light tomorrow. however, the car definately has slight, hesitation and low end power issues.

Would it be because the auto parts store didn’t give you the right part? I have experienced it once with my previous car, when I bought new Mercedes Benz Distributor Cap. It won’t fit however I tried, just to know later it wasn’t the right one. Although, there are few differences with the brands, I’m just trying to help. :)

It sure sounds like you got the wrong rotor. And I would fix the timing first if I were you, then track down any other issues if there are any.

If you can take a picture of the hoses you're talking about and post them in this thread, someone here can identify them for you.

The unit next to the alternator is the AC compressor. You have let out some refrigerant which is R-12 if it is stock. You may not be able to get that anymore or have a hard time finding it. Hopefully it wasn't enough to affect the system.

When you replaced the disty you may have gotten the it 1 tooth off the proper slot of the gear. It's too bad you removed it. Since you have low power you may have the timing too far retarded. I would think if you had the plugwires out of place you would have more problems than what you describe.

the rotor you have for spfi has the D-shaped hole. your new rotor you got is for a TURBO distributir with the round hole. so this means a turbo rotor will fit on an spfi but a spfi rotor wont fit in a turbo. that would be the only physical difference

Would it be because the auto parts store didn’t give you the right part? I have experienced it once with my previous car, when I bought new Mercedes Benz Distributor Cap. It won’t fit however I tried, just to know later it wasn’t the right one. Although, there are few differences with the brands, I’m just trying to help. :)

Ive learned that a Toyota rotor works with the Subaru cap, its virtually Identical to the subaru rotor

Ive learned that a Toyota rotor works with the Subaru cap, its virtually Identical to the subaru rotor

Yeah. There are other vehicles' parts which are compatible with Subaru. Good thing for an alternative. But, in his case, there might be similarities, but it might not actually be compatible.