Ultimate Subaru Message Board

General EA82 Tranny Question

Since I'm going to go with a t-case lift and all, I was just wondering about the weaknesses of the p/t single range 4wd 5spd from the later EA82s (the ones with the push button 4wd). Also, are the mounting points (crossmember) the same as the d/r or better yet, would they bolt into an 86 without modification? Granted having low range for the street is good from what I've heard, but I'm doing an EJ swap in the process of the t-case lift. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I would go with the dual range tranny, so with a transfer case you can have double low range gears; the single range tranny from a DL should have the same crossmember as the dual range tranny, and would be a direct bolt on in an 86. Ive also noticed that the manual tranny cars have 2 crossmembers; one for the manual tranny, AND one for the auto tranny, but the autos only have the one. That was a little off subject, but I just felt like saying it:)

I would go with the dual range tranny, so with a transfer case you can have double low range gears

Yeah, only problem is dual ranges are hard to come by unless I want to buy another parts car (have 2 86s, both with the d/r, one for me Brat and one for another project, possibly my Gen1 Brat or my 81 Wagon). The double low with the 5spd isn't that big of an issue for me, I'm toying with the idea of a dual case setup down the road :brow: .