Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cruise control & remote starter options for 98 Impreza?

I am now the proud owner of my 3rd (and smallest) Subaru, a '98 Impreza L. I *really* wanted the Outback trim, but Imprezas of any sort are rather rare around here, and though I lived my Legacies, I just don't need that much car very often, and I could stand to save on gas.

Anyway... the new one doesn't have either cruise control or remote starter. What do you guys think are my best options? I found old threads about OEM its available from Subaru, but those seem to be all gone.

I'd also like to have a remote starter again. Is it possible to put such a thing in a car with a manual transmission? I'm imagining that it would be possible, provided that there's a switch on the tranny to turn off the remote starter if it's parked in gear.

I'd also like to have a remote starter again. Is it possible to put such a thing in a car with a manual transmission? I'm imagining that it would be possible, provided that there's a switch on the tranny to turn off the remote starter if it's parked in gear.

Very possible. The '01 Forester w/ 5MT I bought used already had an old Astrostart keyless entry/remote starter installed when I bought it. The "kill switch" is four sensors mounted on the shift lever in a certain relation to four other sensors mounted on the surrounding sheetmetal. When the sensors a misaligned(ie, shifter position is anything other than dead center neutral) the car will not start.

Your cruise issue is a bigger deal... I'd find a wrecked '98 RS to rape for all it's factory cruise parts; your car is probably already semi-wired for the job.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Plug and play for the cruise control. The computer is behind the drivers side kick panel. I have a keyless door lock unit from Subaru if you want it. $45 shipped. Larry

Can you tell me where behind the kick panel it's supposed to be? I looked and didn't find it.