Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Speaker Placement in 93 Loyale Wagon

I just acquired my 6th Subaru Loyale Stationwagon and, not surprisingly, the speakers are shot...really shot. So, I finally decided to replace the speakers in a car I owned.

In the process of looking into this, I discovered there actually were spots for speakers in the rear doors. Behind the panelling, there is some hard cardboard like material with circular cutouts for the speakers and then of course the place to mount the speakers. My first question is this, will the sound come through ok through the panelling once I cut out the circular cutouts because there will still be some material between the speakers and the rest of the car...there's no slits to let out the sound.

My second question is regarding the trunk. I noticed in the trunk two grids/sets of slit and it appears that speaks would be able to go behind them. However, I know nothing at all about car sound systems and have been unable to find anything online about it. Does anyone know whether I can install speakers in the trunk and if so, do you know what dimensions they have to be? Thanks!

I just acquired my 6th Subaru Loyale Stationwagon and, not surprisingly, the speakers are shot...really shot. So, I finally decided to replace the speakers in a car I owned.

In the process of looking into this, I discovered there actually were spots for speakers in the rear doors. Behind the panelling, there is some hard cardboard like material with circular cutouts for the speakers and then of course the place to mount the speakers. My first question is this, will the sound come through ok through the panelling once I cut out the circular cutouts because there will still be some material between the speakers and the rest of the car...there's no slits to let out the sound.

My second question is regarding the trunk. I noticed in the trunk two grids/sets of slit and it appears that speaks would be able to go behind them. However, I know nothing at all about car sound systems and have been unable to find anything online about it. Does anyone know whether I can install speakers in the trunk and if so, do you know what dimensions they have to be? Thanks!

My loyale had speakers in the rear doors, not in the trunk. I believe they are all 6&1/2".

My loyale had speakers in the rear doors, not in the trunk. I believe they are all 6&1/2".

Yeah, there's definitely a place for speakers in the rear door, just no hole cut out of the panelling. As for the trunk door, there doesn't seem to be wiring for the speakers, but there are two sets of grids on the plastic panelling behind which the insulation material is ready to be cut out. It just looks like it's meant for speakers. Thanks for the info though.

I mounted a pair of 6x9's in the hatch of my 91 Loyale and my stereo sounds great! I cut a piece of 1/4" plywood to fit between the mounts for the plastic trim piece (you have to take it off first), cut out holes for the speakers in the plywood and the plastic trim piece, and screwed the plywood to the metal of the hatch. I then ran wire up the hatch to where the rest of the hatch wires run out, and into the car. By the way, I mounted the speakers vertically so they would fit with minimal metal augmentation. Also remember that the speakers will weigh down your hatch and old struts won't hold it up anymore.