Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just noticed that when my 97 Legacy is cold (even on a hot day), when I step on the gas, there is some "rattling" under the hood. The noise sounds like it comes from the front of the car, but not really sure. I had all of the fluids changed when I got the car 2 months ago. There is no binding and no CEL's are coming up. I'd like to nip this at the bud as it currently has 127k miles on it.

I did have an oil change with Mobil 1 a couple of weeks ago, but I didn't really check the level since. I had Mobil 1 since I bought the car and didn't really notice the noise (i'm a rollup the windows, turn on the AC and blast the music kinda driver.

Any help would be greatful.

Check your exhaust heat shielding. It gets loose over time and will rattle very badly.

+1. I clamped mine back down, but they'd only last a few weeks at best without being retightened. I ended up chopping off at least half the shields with tin snips(took a while), but much quieter now.

I got it checked out today. It turned out to be the pipe segment between the catalytic converter and the muffler. There was also a heat shield that was loose. Cost me $200, but the car is now quiet inside and out.

Another vote for heat shields.

See the FAQ sticky for some ideas.

Commuter