Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Loyale 4spd auto

if I understand correctly subaru sold them with the 4EAT in them in the USA.

need part numbers for:

rear trans mount (think there are two of them.)

middle support

rear trans crossmember ( I have a 3 spd one.)

OR

the phone number of a northern subaru dealer ( they are easier to understand :) )

all so I can finish this off.

15112006102.jpg

loyale on top and literally a legacy GT-B underneath.

88 through 90 had that transmission. Be advised you still may have a rear mount problem when you eventually find these parts. Guessing you are using a "newer" 4EAT. Subaru changed the tailhousing mount in the early 1990s. Knew a person that used a "newer" tailhousing on his 88 or 89 4EAT transmission and discovered the mounting holes/angle didn't match. Probably justed confused you but it's early in the morning and I need some coffee.

88 through 90 had that transmission. Be advised you still may have a rear mount problem when you eventually find these parts. Guessing you are using a "newer" 4EAT. Subaru changed the tailhousing mount in the early 1990s. Knew a person that used a "newer" tailhousing on his 88 or 89 4EAT transmission and discovered the mounting holes/angle didn't match. Probably justed confused you but it's early in the morning and I need some coffee.

actually it made sense. donor is a 96 GTB and I tried the later (albeit stuffed )mounts on what I have. trans mounts are wider than the crossmember and they are also 1" or so higher up . the height doesn't bother me the width does.

had a brief search here before I asked this question.

part numbers would still be handy.

how did he fix it??

Don't think he ever did. Hard to remember after 6-7 years. Do recall Greg broke the tailhousing on his 89 XT6. Someone gave him another tail section from a 1st generation Legacy and that is when it was learned the mounting pads were different.

Original poster has a couple of options. Could find a tailhousing from an early 4EAT. (Someone on ebay last wek was selling parts from an early 4EAT.) Other option would be to cut the center section out of a newer crossmember and use it to replace a section of the Loyale crossmember.

Just FYI I would think a 4EAT crossmember from an XT or XT6 would bolt into the Loyale.

Didn't the XT / Vortex also have 4EAT?

Maybe its crossmembers could be adaptable.

Thread Hijack - Hi Chris, this is Patrick. Can you PM me a GOOD email to get ahold of Brett?

He's elusive, LOL - but I still owe him some money zzz

Thanks, PK

Doh?! John beat me, lol.

Don't think he ever did. Hard to remember after 6-7 years. Do recall Greg broke the tailhousing on his 89 XT6. Someone gave him another tail section from a 1st generation Legacy and that is when it was learned the mounting pads were different.

Original poster has a couple of options. Could find a tailhousing from an early 4EAT. (Someone on ebay last wek was selling parts from an early 4EAT.) Other option would be to cut the center section out of a newer crossmember and use it to replace a section of the Loyale crossmember.

Just FYI I would think a 4EAT crossmember from an XT or XT6 would bolt into the Loyale.

xt6 would do it. xt would not. ( they were 3spd here not 4.) now where do I find one since the XT6 wasn't sold here either..

actually - Oz did get the gen 1 legacy- thinking that may have the correct mounts if what I think you are saying is correct. must look.

thanks!

regrading brett, he's just as elusive here.

I have a FWD XT6 FWD 4EAT out in the shed I bought years ago for a spare. It still has the rear mount and bracket. Don't know if it is the same as that used on the AWD but I could take a picture if that would help.

if you could that would be great. rear crossmember will be correct mounts may not.

Am I the only one noticing that's a twin turbo engine? I thought they didn't fit into EA bodies because of some thing getting in some other thing's way.

it may foul in yours as the brake booster is in the way (IE LHD.) it drops into those bodies VERY easily. use wrx mounts and all of the legacy stuff - job done.

only thing stopping me is the trans x/member. once that is sorted its right to go.