Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Was looking at my shifter linkage before I fix the slop in it and I think I'm missing a couple of parts.

Isn't there a spring that's supposed to attache to the eyelet on the boss (at the yellow arrow) and isn't there supposed to be a washer with an eyelet on that other big part (at the red arrow)? (Can't remember the name of that other rod there.)

shifter-linkage-2.jpg

And what do you suppose this zip tie is accomplishing?

shifter-linkage-1.jpg

Right on both counts! Looks like the zip tie is trying to accomplish what the missing washer is supposed to do--hold the stabilizer rod on the bushing.

Also looks like the double roll pin (to hold the boss and tranny stub together) has been replaced with a nut and bolt, which explains your earlier question about getting a wrench on it.

PO really did a job on that linkage.

If you can find the large washer-with-eyelet at least you coukld install the spring and it'd improve your shift feel a lot. Any idea what the bushings are like in that "universal" linkage (can't tell from the pic)?

Good luck.

I think it's just the fuzziness of that picture that makes it look like a bolt, but it really is a double roll pin. I thought I'd be taking the bolts out of the boss itself to put in bushings instead of removing the boss from the tranny stub.

I found a post ones where someone bought an OEM boss instead of just ordering new bushings. Depending on the cost of the new boss I might just do that. I'll have to order that washer too.

Looks like there are bushing in the forward axle of the boss, but they've worn away on the rear one.

What's the bar with the missing washer called, and what does it do? Looks like it can't rotate or anything.

I think it's just the fuzziness of that picture that makes it look like a bolt, but it really is a double roll pin.

What's the bar with the missing washer called, and what does it do?

Yeah, I blew the pic up after posting and realized maybe it was a roll pin!

I call it a "stabilizer bar." It connects, through bushings, to the body at the rear (under the console) and the tranny housing at the front to provide a platform for the shifter.

Probably have to replace the entire joint, not familiar with that because I think it's a different design than my '95 Legacy.

Do try a search under "shifter bushings." There's some pretty good info and links on here.

Getting the roll pin out is a straightforward thing, but how do you get the actual linkage apart? Those two pivots are riveted and it looks like you'd have to drill them out. And it looks like you can't do that without taking the shift lever out of the car.

You're on the right track. Start by taking out the console inside the car. In my case it came out in pieces--the armrest/storage box, the panel with the leather boot, then the long molded tunnel.

Next, from underneath the car, drive out the roll pins and drive the boss off the tranny stub (that could be a challenge because of the rust).

Then cut the zip tie (!) and slide the stabilizer rod off its stud. Should then be able to pull the entire assembly forward (out of the rear stabilizer bushing up under the console) and take it out of the car.

I believe you'll need to replace the entire boss/universal unit rather than drilling out the rivets (not even sure you can buy replacement bushings for that style.)

Might want to replace all the bushings while you're in there. Kartboy makes "upgraded" ones for the stabilizer rod. And I heartily recommend the Turn in Concepts pivot bushing for the shift lever to control rod connection (best mod I ever made!)

It's a bear of a job but your car will feel like new--at least when you shift gears! Well worth the effort.

Good luck.

There's something I'm not getting, maybe it's just a matter of not knowing all the correct terms.

There's two pieces connected to the u-joint, the boss that connects to the tranny stub with the pin, and then the long rod that connects to the shifter. The u-joint is connected to that rod with a rivet, isn't it?

TiC's stuff looks good, but they don't seem to have a boss for my early '98 style shifter with the spring. Theirs is for the later style that doesn't use a spring.

Sorry, I can't be much help there. My '95 Legacy has the older style boss/universal linkage that you can unbolt to replace bushings. You may have to buy an entirely new boss/linkage/"long arm."

Again, I urge you to search, research, even call a dealership or online parts place to find out exactly what you need. Jason in the parts department at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn, WA (866-528-5282) is an excellent help.

Tic doesn't do the boss or boss bushings--just the shift lever to "long arm" (control rod) bushings.

Good luck.

Sorry, I can't be much help there. My '95 Legacy has the older style boss/universal linkage that you can unbolt to replace bushings. You may have to buy an entirely new boss/linkage/"long arm."

Again, I urge you to search, research, even call a dealership or online parts place to find out exactly what you need. Jason in the parts department at Mike Scarff Subaru in Auburn, WA (866-528-5282) is an excellent help.

Tic doesn't do the boss or boss bushings--just the shift lever to "long arm" (control rod) bushings.

Good luck.

You mean this is what they don't do? ;)

tic_old_5mt_upd_1_small.jpg

Difference is that theirs is for the model that doesn't need the spring. I'll give Jason a call and see what he can tell me (and sell me).

You can order the boss part for a wrx, and get the spt short throw along with it. Thats the usual replacement route.

Really? I didn't see anyone post that solution in the numerous threads about this problem, and that seems awfully expensive. We're talking a couple hundred for all that.

You mean this is what they don't do? ;)

tic_old_5mt_upd_1_small.jpg

Yup, ya really got me there! Sometimes I have blinders on I'm so into parts for my "old style" '95. Had forgotten that TiC makes a whole line of products but basically for newer Subarus.

Anyway, hope you're able to find the parts you need to get that shifter back to tip-top shape.