Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Carter carb and secondary air filter

Anyone interested in a 1-barrel Carter carb? I ordered a carb for my '81 Brat from an auto dismantler, and this is what I got, but it doesn't fit my car. I have sixty bucks into it, but that's negotiable. Also, anybody know of a good supplier for obsolete Subaru parts? I need a secondary air filter for my '81 Brat. It's part of emissions control. Anybody have any experience with these? Can I just bypass the thing? Thanks.

Anyone interested in a 1-barrel Carter carb? I ordered a carb for my '81 Brat from an auto dismantler, and this is what I got, but it doesn't fit my car. I have sixty bucks into it, but that's negotiable. Also, anybody know of a good supplier for obsolete Subaru parts? I need a secondary air filter for my '81 Brat. It's part of emissions control. Anybody have any experience with these? Can I just bypass the thing? Thanks.

Send the carb back to where you got it and get your money back; they didn't fulfill their art of the bargain, by selling you the wrong carb. I guess you have a Hitachi carb?

Do you really have to do emissions inspection for a Brat? Seems like it'd be too old to require it. If not, seriously consider a Weber carb. The best way to go is to get an EA82 intake manifold from someone here (because it has a larger carb base opening, so it lets more mixture into your combustion chamber), and buy kit #K733 from www.webercarburetor.com/Catalogpages/subaru.htm.

If you go this route, it will give you the opportuity to install new intake manifold gaskets (where they meet the head). Get them from the dealer only. I'm thinking EA81 and EA82 gaskets will be the same. Plus you can then easily renew a few other hoses while you're in there.