Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I smell gas outside my car!

Noticed the other day that I could smell gas outside my car as I got in and out. I am doing some small repairs today so we can get outta town this weekend. What to check first? Where has your leaks developed? Is there a fuel filter under there somewhere?

I had a gas leak smell coming from my '78 brat. I just happened to see a drip coming from the right rear quarter panel one day. Appearently there is some vent tubing inside the wheel well that had come undone, I found the end and daylighted it to the outside. The smell came from gas acccumulating inside the well. Probably not the right fix, but it took care of the odor.

I have found what is leaking, I just don't know what it is... Right by the fuel pump is a small round "pot". Maybe it is a filter or regulator or valve? It has a hose in and a hose out, that's all. Not sure if it is before or after the pump itself.

Can you tell me what it is and if I can use a generic part to replace it. I suppose it could just be the tubing that is leaking, but this thing is rusted and soaked in gas.