Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Solution to CV Axles?

FlyB0y

I was wondering when someone would mention these High Angle half shafts. I never did because I knew no one here would be interested due to cost.

Perhaps a cheaper solution for long travel is to make custom axle shafts that are longer than stock. Of course that would require custom suspension components, and no one here would be interested due to cost.

Will there ever be a mid-travel (10-16") Subaru?

I was wondering when someone would mention these High Angle half shafts. I never did because I knew no one here would be interested due to cost.

Perhaps a cheaper solution for long travel is to make custom axle shafts that are longer than stock. Of course that would require custom suspension components, and no one here would be interested due to cost.

Honestly I am just looking for a tougher axle. If you had something that cost $500 but was nearly impossible to break, that would be the last axe you would need to buy, I'd be all for it. I don't think it would need to be built this heavy for a subaru, and the test vehicle the guys who make the high angles use is 600HP and 2200lbs, so I think if you goto a local driveline maker you might be able to make something much more resonable but just as reliable. The way these are set up tho, I'm guessing for a subaru your going to need to make some spindles & some other set-up for attacking to the trany?

i already have a strut built that could be made to accomodatefrom 8" to 15".the problem at 10" is that everything gets a tad to wobbly.

and it is not a matter of interest due to cost.

most folks that are wheeling these rigs are just starting to wheel.not had other rigs ,or just not knowledgable enough to think about things differently.

i already have a strut built that could be made to accomodatefrom 8" to 15".the problem at 10" is that everything gets a tad to wobbly.

and it is not a matter of interest due to cost.

most folks that are wheeling these rigs are just starting to wheel.not had other rigs ,or just not knowledgable enough to think about things differently.

Hmmmmmm.... so what is the standard travel of the suspension for an EA81?

Flyboy mentioned the other sticky issue, which is adapting custom axles to the trans and hubs. Anything is possible, but at what price? Unfortunately, there is NO demand for custom Subaru suspension, so there is no marketability for any R&D efforts in this area.

I have considered cutting the DOJ and outer CV stub axle, and welding them to U-joint flanges. Perhaps this would be a viable solution with the right sized U-joints and a splined slip joint with a boot.

I am leaning towards having longer axles made, to use OEM parts. Either way, I would want to increase track width by at least 3" per side, for longer travel and greater stability.

The bogus strut front suspension would be replaced with A arms and coilovers. The rear torsions would be replaced with stronger, longer and wider trailing arms with coilovers.

Maybe someday I will have the time, money and inclination for this project. Maybe not.

Well the problem is..i think, that we wheel Subaru's to have something different and cheap. At some point you may as well just build a tube buggy and hang some Subaru sheet metal over it, or stick a Subaru body on a truck chassis that has all that fancy suspension anyway.

I meen look at Baja trucks, they say Ford or Chevy or what ever on them and in reality there is nothing stock about them.

Building off road Subaru's has it's limitations, we deal with them. :cool: