Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Noisy exhaust system...no, not from tailpipe

Has anyone else experienced this?

07 Outback basic, 5-speed, 20k miles

About one week ago the heat shields around the front of the exhaust system, directly under the engine started popping and pinging....making that 'I'm hot, metal expanding/contracting' noise. It does this all the time, whether driving in stop and go traffic, or cruising along at 65mph on a 70 degree day. I could be driving down the interstate and as soon as I come down the off ramp and pull up to a stop I can hear the exhaust making noise. Or driving to work on a cool morning and pulling into the parking garage, shut the engine off and listen to it ping, ping and ping some more as I walk away from the car into building. It is pretty loud and sort of embarassing.

I don't believe anything is missfunctioning, the engine seems to be running normally and the exhaust system does not seem abnormaly hot.

I am going to take it to the dealer as soon as I can, but for now was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and how it was fixed?

Yep, had same problem on both my 98 and 99 Outbacks. I fixed both by driving my car up on plastic ramps, then crawling under the car while the engine was idling. I turned on the A/C to add some extra load to the engine, resulting in a little more engine vibration. Wearing some thick gloves, I wiggled and tapped on the exhaust system protective shrouds, until I found the loose shroud that was vibrating to produce the noise. I fixed the problem by finding a good size bolt, that I hammered into place as a wedge between the shroud and the exhaust pipe. The insertion of the bolt tightened up the shroud, so it doesn't vibrate. It is a very low tech solution for a low tech noisy problem, but it works. It is a cheap and easy fix.

Yep, had same problem on both my 98 and 99 Outbacks. I fixed both by driving my car up on plastic ramps, then crawling under the car while the engine was idling. I turned on the A/C to add some extra load to the engine, resulting in a little more engine vibration. Wearing some thick gloves, I wiggled and tapped on the exhaust system protective shrouds, until I found the loose shroud that was vibrating to produce the noise. I fixed the problem by finding a good size bolt, that I hammered into place as a wedge between the shroud and the exhaust pipe. The insertion of the bolt tightened up the shroud, so it doesn't vibrate. It is a very low tech solution for a low tech noisy problem, but it works. It is a cheap and easy fix.

So you think it is related to a loose shield or shield bolt, and not necessarily a heat (overheat) issue?

Check your instrument panel water temperature guage to see if your engine is over heating, the next time you hear the noise. I would guess that it isn't. After my own two experiences with loose vibrating shrouds making a shrill "zzzzzzzzz" type sound, I vote for the same problem on your car, if indeed that is what you are hearing.

Now if you are hearing just a bunch of clicks and ticking sounds upon turning off the motor after driving the car for a while, then that is normal with Subies. That noise is not caused by over heating, but just normal noise produced by the hot exhaust system as it cools off.

...shut the engine off and listen to it ping, ping and ping some more as I walk away from the car into building. It is pretty loud and sort of embarassing...

It's been a while, but the last couple of new cars that I got seemed to do this very thing when they were new. I just ignored it and it went away.

Seems to be related to the metal on the exhaust heatshields contracting/expanding with temperature change. Although I'd get under there and hammer away or add additional clamping on my old used car, I'd be reluctant to do that on a new one. The dealer should be able to fix easily for you.

Steve

Check your instrument panel water temperature guage to see if your engine is over heating, the next time you hear the noise. I would guess that it isn't. After my own two experiences with loose vibrating shrouds making a shrill "zzzzzzzzz" type sound, I vote for the same problem on your car, if indeed that is what you are hearing.

Now if you are hearing just a bunch of clicks and ticking sounds upon turning off the motor after driving the car for a while, then that is normal with Subies. That noise is not caused by over heating, but just normal noise produced by the hot exhaust system as it cools off.

Not overheating. I thought possibly something was obstructing the exhaust system causing it to get hot, or maybe the engine running to rich and dumping extra fuel through and into the exhaust, but not the case the engine is running fine and there are no check engine lights.

The clicks and ticks are constant, while driving and after you turn it off. I doubt this is normal.....haven't heard any others do it, and the last one I owned didn't do it.

It's been a while, but the last couple of new cars that I got seemed to do this very thing when they were new. I just ignored it and it went away.

Seems to be related to the metal on the exhaust heatshields contracting/expanding with temperature change. Although I'd get under there and hammer away or add additional clamping on my old used car, I'd be reluctant to do that on a new one. The dealer should be able to fix easily for you.

Steve

Car is not new....over 1 year old with 20k miles. Too loud to ignore.