Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is the end of the Spark Plug Boot needed?

Just changed my plugs last night (98 OBW, 2.5) , the rubber end of the spark plug boot was stuck on the plug insualtor when I pulled the main part of the boot off :mad:. What a pain!!! A few hours of poking and prodding with picks bent in all different shapes and I had them out. I did coat the plugs with boot grease when I last changed them (about 60 or 70K ago) but they still stuck.

I was wondering if that lower rubber seal is really needed. The top red flange would seem to me to keep most dirt/water out. The connector is recessed into the upper hard part of the boot so it is not exposed.

Would just putting on more grease this time do the trick? It was such a pain I really don't want to have to go through it again. I posted a pic in my album.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Going to change the wires tonight so I am trying to decide before then.

I would think that the boot provides electrical insulation, not just physical protection. Without the boot you might get grounding (arcing) to the block or valve cover...

grease, and careful, although nearly impossible, twisting and pulling!