Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help. EA81 wont fire.

I'm getting to work on the 82GL and last time I could get it started but the gas pedal stuck to the floor. So it ran at about 5000RPM or not at all. I unstuck the throttle today and have been trying to get it started. At first it would almost start. I could get a few very weak little chugs out of the engine before it would die. Sort of a put... put... put... no vroom. But now I'm not even getting that. I've tried putting some gas straight down the carb with no improvement. The engine is turning over fine and I know the oil is old but it looks okay on the dipstick. I'm still fairly new on diagnosing this sort of thing. What next? Clean the carb? Plugs? Just trying to figure out where to go from here.

Try spraying some starter fluid into the intake to see if that will help get it going. If it dosen't then check the spark by removing one of the plugs and set it on a good metal ground of the engine. Then have someone crank the engine so you can watch the spark on the plug. Also check the plug condition looking for signs of wear and fouling.

Check the compression of each cylinder to see if there is a problem in that area.

sounds ignition related. cougar was helping me with mine which turned out to be a bad ECU. but there are lots of things to check before you get to that. the plugs are a place to start see if they're fouled badly or if the gap is way off, if you're getting voltage to the coil should read 10v or more on each side, if the distributor cap has condensation in it or deposites on the metal tabs inside. then you might need to see if you are getting spark out to the plugs. that should get you started any way. one of the more advanced people will jump in if they haven't already.

I have it running now. I switched over to a newer fuel pump. Now though, it stalls out every time I push the throttle. If I have just put gas down the carb, the engine will respond to the throttle but only until that gas is used up. After that gas is gone, the throttle just stalls it out every time. I have the airbox lid off and can hear a light hissing sound down there. Not sure whether or not that's to be expected. Would love to get this thing driving today. Any ideas????

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, sorry. I didn't read properly about the throttle working when you pour gas down the throat. My bad. If it isn't the filters, take the lines off of the pump and try blowing out the lines with air. If you had a break in your fuel line, you'd know it by now. Good luck ;)