Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ignition problems :/

But not in my car, or the ignition you are thinking of :P

Working on my neighbor's wife's brother's 86 GL waaagon. The key is very hard to get in and out of the ignition and it is hard to get it to turn as well, like it's not lining up. Is there some secret quick fix(other then oil/silicone , tried that) that might help? Would a new key help at all, or is just new ignition time?

But not in my car, or the ignition you are thinking of :P

Working on my neighbor's wife's brother's 86 GL waaagon. The key is very hard to get in and out of the ignition and it is hard to get it to turn as well, like it's not lining up. Is there some secret quick fix(other then oil/silicone , tried that) that might help? Would a new key help at all, or is just new ignition time?

It might not even be the right key....we all know that once those keys get worn and the cylinder gets worn almost any Subaru key will work.

Also...did you try cleaning it out with that graphite stuff or other cleaner?

unless the linear channels of the key are buggered, I cannot imagine a new key would go in any easier than the present one.. do any of your keys go into the cylinder with ease?

Have you picked up a can of sea foam deep creep yet? I havent used it on a lock mechanism yet, but that, and graphite lube, are the only other two things I can think of.

My vote is new cylinder time.. maybe if you could let the old one sit in an ultrasonic cleaner with some mineral spirits or diesel fuel, and then re lube it, it MIGHT work good... but I doubt it. The guy has probably been "coping" with it like this for so long its beyond repair, but thats just my two bits.

Who made these cylinders??? Datsuns and Subarus both seem to have the same problems with them.. I know Nissans locks were still godawful at LEAST up into the 80s. Both here, and on my Z-car forum, there are so many people who have pictures of their car when they first got it, complete with the screwdriver they used as a "key."

Call the Locksmith!!!

robin-hood-men-in-tights.jpg