Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just got a 96 Legacy Wagon with 147k

The cars been well cared for and the guy was honest about the cam seals and timing belt need fixing. We are going to take it to a dealer to do this and a 150k service, is there anything else worth doing at the same time? Water pump?

well, Im still a newbie, but I betcha the first question thats going to be asked is: 2.2 or 2.5 ? I have a 96 Legacy OB 2.5 and went through the head gasket issues (got it cheap because of it) But I love this car....and its been worth the hassle of HG, etc. replacements....but I'll let the more knowledgeable guys fill you in on other stuff

like he said 2.2 verses 2.5 makes a big difference. in this year the 2.2 is a non interference engine and the 2.5 is an interference engine.

definitely replace the water pump, it's not worth the low cost to replace verses the risk of hoping the water pump lasts to the next timing belt - which will be either 210,000 (2.2) or 250,000 (2.5) miles. to replace the water pump requires removing the timing belt, so do it all at once.

i recommend replacing any timing belt pulleys or tensioners that have any play or noise in them as well. i have yet to find a late 90's EJ engine that didn't need at least one pulley - usually the cogged lower pulley is the most common to be low on grease. if it's a 2.5 you definitely want to err on the side of caution since it's an interference motor and risking a broken belt from a bad pulley can essentially ruin your motor.

while the timing belt is off also replace the cam seals and oil pump seals, they are right behind the timing belt and don't cost very much to replace.

best to do all this stuff at one time. EJ motors are very reliable, particularly the EJ22, so do it once and you got a great chance at making an easy 60,000 more miles to the next change.

my rule of thumb is to replace the water pump every other timing belt on EJ22's and with every timing belt on EJ25's - not knowing your cars history i'd do it all.

sounds like you're already doing the cam seals and timing belt.

definitely reseal the oil pump. i would highly recommend the water pump and any free wheeling or noisey pulleys.

if money is an issue at all, technically you could chance the pulleys if you want and that's how you like to do things. they don't fail very often and yours isn't that old. but, i would replace any that show these signs and my bet is that one or two will. the thing that sucks about having a dealer do it is the pulleys cost an insane amount from the dealer. you can buy an entire kit, with all new timing belt and an entire set of new pulleys for the same price you'll pay for just one pulley at the dealer, so that's the annoying part. since yours is a 1996 2.2 it should be a non-interference motor so there's no risk of engine damage by neglecting it, but i'd still do it. and i guess if your location is international i would double check on the interference thing it changed in 1997 here in the states, internationally may be different? if it's an interference engine i'm much more inclined to replace pulleys.

thanks I corrected my location

The other day we tested a 97 legacy wagon, I have never driven AWD b4 and it felt bad. The FWD light was on but I figured it meant "Four Wheel Drive" even though it was pulling to the right and felt like realy bad torque steer in a front wheel drive car.

Only when I got back and found this board did it all click into place this cars AWD was totally broken!

Hi. That should be a solid Subaru you have picked up. That model year with 2.2L is pretty solid.

Yes replace the water pump and gasket if they're original and might was well put in a new thermostat and gasket too. The idlers should at least be checked, esp the geared toothed one near the water pump.

Definitely reseal the oil pump and replace front crank seal. Make sure the screws are not backing out of the rear case cover. There is a o-ring type item between the oil pump discharge and the block as well.

The FWD light was on but I figured it meant "Four Wheel Drive" even though it was pulling to the right and felt like realy bad torque steer in a front wheel drive car.
Yes good to pass that one up. That's the front wheel drive indicator. Sometimes when people are trying to sell a Subaru that has some torque binding issues they install the FWD fuse.