Ultimate Subaru Message Board

basket-case

Not my 86 GL wagon. It's carbed. Here's the story. The owner decided to take it apart to change the timing belt, and couldn't get it back together, not running anyway. So it came to me with the old "ran great before he messed with it". He kinda took the intake apart, so the vac lines may or may not be right, I checked them over quickly. He disassembled the interior to fix the heater controls for some reason. The spark plug wires were on wrong.

Ok, heres the problem. It runs hellaticiosly rich. I put it on a 5 gas and was getting about 900ish HC at it's "best" setting. It also makes you dizzy trying to analize it. It also has a bit of a miss, idles rough. When it is driven the throttle has "dead spots" at 1/4 and 3/4 throttle... seems to sputter in those areas.

What I have done:

plugs, cap, rotor

seafoam in the tank with some fresh gas

seafoam down the throat of the beast(really helped the idle)

some carb cleaner... in the carb

new oil

poorly and quickly checked and reconnected the vac lines.

think thats about it... Ideas?

Coolant temp sensor, or the o2 sensor

carb'ed car.

I presume NON feedback carb?

Shoot the timing on the thing? just to rule it out..

Get a good sized length of hose, stick it in one ear, and fish it around listening for vacuum leaks. Check inside the cabin too, if he was messing with the HVAC controls.

A stab in the dark, but at least thats a few guesses BOUND to be a little closer than the previous poster (no offense ProSpeeder :-p)

SPFI FTW? Ahh yes, SPFI FTW!:banana:

Thats all I got:-p

I'd love to, but it's not my car.... and I, for once, don't have the parts on hand.... I do however have a complete 96 EJ22.... :dead:

Anyway, I checked the timing when I first got it running because that was the issue... I think IIRC I set it at about 10 or so...

I'll check again for vac leaks as well, but like said I think I got all of them... I even checked out the PCV...

I'll just keep plugging away.