Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 Hatch

So, ive been thinking lately about try to fab up a 1'' reciever on the back of my hatch to pull a small trailer. What does everybody think about that? Has anybody ever done or have thought about doing this? This would also include upgrading to stiffer rear shocks. And i would at most pull 1000 lbs.

Hi This is Jerry, i have a 86 and a 80 hatch bolth of them have trailer hitches on them. I built them and i didn't install different shocks everything works fine. What i did was fine in the wrecking yard a class 1 hitch and cut it all up useing just the center part of the hitch only. Then i built everything else to fit the hatch. Thanks Jerry

Hi This is Jerry, i have a 86 and a 80 hatch bolth of them have trailer hitches on them. I built them and i didn't install different shocks everything works fine. What i did was fine in the wrecking yard a class 1 hitch and cut it all up useing just the center part of the hitch only. Then i built everything else to fit the hatch. Thanks Jerry

Thats awesome, thanks for the post. I was wondering what you pull or what is the most weight you have pulled with the hatch? I'm planning on pulling a 400 lb. trailer with a 425 lb. quad on it. So 825 lbs. or so.

• 1 month later...

OK, so now that the Hatch has finally passed smog, all the things i've been wanting to do are gonna hopefully happen. Time for the fab up reciever. Gonna hit the junkyard for a class 1 receiver tomorrow morning, and if i can find one cheap enough thats gonna be awesome. But if not, Does anyone have one they want to get rid of or know where i can buy one?? Maybe a few pics that i can get an idea of where to fab the mounts!