Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing rear brake shoes on 84 wagon

I haven't been on here in awhile since I've been gone for the summer. I get back in Spokane in a couple days and then I have one day to make sure my car is in proper running order before I take off on a long(ish) roadtrip to Seattle and Vancouver Wa. I tried the search function on the forum but didn't really come up with what I was looking for.

Car: 84 4wd wagon

Right before I left for the summer I took a look at my brake shoes on the back and noticed they were on their last leg. Didn't have time to do them right then but told myself I would do them when I got home.

I've done plenty of other repairs to this ride including the front brake pads a few years ago but I've never done a set of rear shoes. I think I'll be able to figure it out. Can anyone give me brief lowdown on the procedure? Have any tricks or tips? Everything else was fine when I put her away a couple months ago so I'm hoping shes still good. Thanks a bunch.

Take them off and replace them with a set of rear disc. Its super easy to do and you wonter regret it. Get ahold of Baccaruda, he might have some or would be able to find you a set in Spokane. If he cant, let me know. I'll find you a set.......I grow em on a tree in my backyard:-p

The shoes are really easy to replace.

First, turn the adjuster so that its all the way in (I forget which direction that is)

Then, remove the castle nut and the drum.

Remember where all the springs and clips go, this is important.

Remove the springs and clips, being careful not to lose the hold down pins.

Pull the shoes off. Place new shoes on in the exact same orientation.

Replace springs and clips.

Replace drum and castle nut.

Adjust the shoes. Do this by turning the adjuster as far as it goes so that the drum won't turn. Then turn the adjuster back one half turn. Should be able to spin the drum freely without too much resistance from the shoes.

Remember to adjust the shoes. I do this about every other oil change on my EA81.

Also, now's a good time to check those brake cylinders in the drums. Both mine were leaking on my 84, so I replaced 'em. $15/ea at the local auto parts store.

Also's a good time to bleed those brakes.