Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Touring Wagon opinions/thoughts

I have been toying with the idea of dropping a turbo in my LS wagon for a while and I came across a very nice touring wagon.

What kind of highway mileage can I expect with the 2.2t & auto?

How durable are the Auto tyranny’s and are these better than the regular autos?

You are kinda asking: "how high is up"?

Driving @ 100k/hr (60mph) with a light foot I get 32mpg (imperial).

Driving like an "animal" @140k/hr+ (100mph+) I get 10-14mpg (imperial)

'91 Sport Sedan 2.2t + auto

You are kinda asking: "how high is up"?

Good point there :cool:

I was just looking for some real world figure, I get 30-32 range now with my na 2.2 5spd LS wagon & just wanted to make sure I would not be going down too much.

Thanks!

If you do primarily city driving, the turbo will eat your mpg - probably 16-18mpg city. The tranny's are just fine.

I do nothing or less than 10% city. All my driving is to/from moutains & around moutains in Colorado.

I really am looking for more power but don't want to deal with the 2.5 HG/ pia spark plugs/ for a their nominal power increase.

And I have to have a sunroof, hated not having one in my 96 OBW.

I do nothing or less than 10% city. All my driving is to/from moutains & around moutains in Colorado.

I really am looking for more power but don't want to deal with the 2.5 HG/ pia spark plugs/ for a their nominal power increase.

And I have to have a sunroof, hated not having one in my 96 OBW.

Well, you'll probably do all right. The transmission is a good transmission. Just check for torquebind and what not. The EJ22T is only 160hp. If you need more than that stock, you'd have to jump to a SVX.

If you do primarily city driving, the turbo will eat your mpg - probably 16-18mpg city. The tranny's are just fine.

I thought a turbo would increase your mpg as long as you don't drive it like it's a sports car. I thought pushing all that extra air into the engine would make it more efficient when driving normally, and provide extra power when you want it. No?

I thought a turbo would increase your mpg as long as you don't drive it like it's a sports car. I thought pushing all that extra air into the engine would make it more efficient when driving normally, and provide extra power when you want it. No?
Quite the opposite. Having a turbo makes you get less mpg. Why? On boost, you're pushing more air, but you're burning more gas also.

I thought a turbo would increase your mpg as long as you don't drive it like it's a sports car.

In theory.............

The trouble being that as soon as boost is seen the computer dumps in extra fuel. Stock with a 2.2 this happens around 3100 RPM, keep it under 3100 and you are "golden". Start modifying things, and this changes. With an after market crossover pipe (1/4 the price of OEM, and oversize), a cat less down pipe, and a punched cat, I'm making boost @ 2100. In town, driving like an idiot, this means about 8mpg, but "fun" (or who says a 4 wheel drive Subaru won't torque steer?).