Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Blower fan causing power loss

MTSuby

Using Defrost engages the A/C compressor. It works like a dehumidifier. It dries the air so it helps remove moisture from the windshield faster.

You'll probably feel the compressor cycle on and off too. That is also normal.

Running the fan on High speed draws a lot of amps from the alt. That will cause a small power loss as well.

Anymore loss than that then something else is wrong.

rex

When I turn my fan blowers on, especially the defrost, there's huge pull on the engine. I lose a ton of power. What's the deal with that? Anybody? Thanks!

Got A/C? I'll bet your compressor is kicking in (like it's meant to) and bogging your engine

*EDIT*__Dangit! beat by a minute!__*/EDIT*

Under the hood there is a small white vacuum module between the passenger strut mount and firewall. That is what stores the vacuum for the heater controls. Check all of the vac lines around there and follow the line toward the engine and check for loose or split connections. You will also see where the vac line goes through the firewall. That's all part of the controls so make sure there are no leaks.

rex