Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Sube has got the clutch judder issue; it's not really bad but has been there since the car was new.

The judder doesn't happen too often, mostly when the Sube is driven when cold or when my usually impeccably smooth clutch using technique is out of synch.

Tne Sube has only 48,000 miles on it and the judder has not worsened.

Does the judder (which I think is due to a weaker spring) mean that the clutch's life expectancy will be reduced?

Bare in mind that I'm pretty good using a clutch, don't use it harshly or abusively. I had an '86 Peugeot 505 ( very unreliable...cost me a fecking fortune in repairs), but the original clutch was still going strong when I got rid of at 180,000 miles.

But can I expect my Subie's clutch to fail prematurely because of the judder, regardless of how good I am with it?

I don't think it will fail prematurely. My RX did that when I bought it with 90k on it. When I replaced the clutch at 220k it wasn't because of the clutch itself, the throw out bearing went bad. I still had a good 1/16" on each side of the disc.

Nothing to worry about. At times mine seemed worse than others. That's when I would burn the clutch a little (high rpm's and feather:burnout: ) and that would smooth it out for a while. Smelled funny, but it worked.

You have a whole lot more miles left on that one.

rex

No, it's not your driving. The clutch is the problem. It may reduce the life of it it may not. My clutch was a judder maniac since new until I had the dealer replace the clutch under warranty after they came out with a service bulletin that addressed clutch judder. However, since your car is outside the 5 year part of your 5 years/60000miles warranty, it may not be covered. With very low mileage like your car, it never hurts to ask your dealer to see what may be covered.

The TSB that affects you is:

NUMBER: 03-51-02R

DATE: 05/01/03

APPLICABILITY: All 1999~2002MY and some

2003MY 2.5L Vehicles;

All 2002MY and some

2003MY 2.0L WRX Vehicles

SUBJECT: Cold Clutch Judder (revised bulletin)

INTRODUCTION

In the event you encounter a customer concern of cold clutch judder that goes away after the first few applications, replacement of some clutch parts will be necessary to repair the vehicle. Prior to replacing these parts, you should confirm the engine and transmission mounting is not broken, loose, or misaligned.

2.5L

Use Clutch Kit: 32098AA020. This kit contains the following parts (and they can also be purchased separately):

Flywheel 12342AA061

Cover 30210AA590

Disc 30100AA851

Bolts (8pc) 800610740

My 99 had the organic clutch too. It was slipping at about 89,000 miles. I had the TSB fitted and it still gives a tiny bit of chatter when very cold but on inspection the other day at 138,000 miles it still looks fine. I had a shim go and tear up my transfer gears so since the tranny was out it was a good time to pull the pressure plate and look at disc and flywheel wear.