Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ22t swap question

cyberbackpacker

Short version of story- after not starting it for a long time, and starting it for the first time with hood removed, I started it yesterday before beginning to dismantle.

Motor sounded "weird". Cannot describe the noise so I videotaped it running.

Any ideas, diagnoses? Want to know what I might be in for before I am able to throw it in my ea81 wagon.

Thanks.

92 ej22t, aw4, 161k

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1165809&fr=yvmtf

You can kind of here it in different ways, but I think around 55 seconds there is a good example, as well as right towards the end.

Firstly from watching the video a couple times, I can tell you it is not a rod knock because if it was a rod, it would be making the engine shake violently and would be very audible. With the fact that it comes and goes leads me to believe it could be a valvetrain sound or possibly a timing belt tensioner. An easy way to tell on a stand is with the engine torn down to the shortblock, ie without heads or intake. If you rotate the crank until 2 of the pistons are right after TDC, you might be able to push on the piston itself and if it moves without the crank moving, then there's play in the rod bearing which would create a rod knock. If you're skeptical on sounds an engine makes, best thing to do is tear it down and find the culprit. At worse case, you'll have to get another engine but its easier to figure this out torn down on a stand then swapped into your car...

With the fact that it comes and goes leads me to believe it could be a valvetrain sound or possibly a timing belt tensioner.

THanks for the info, although the noise is consistent, it does not come and go. If it appears that way in the video it is probably a result of my poor videography and the poor microphone (it was just video from my digital camera, not a camcorder).

I didn't hear a rod knock.............plus rod knocks don't pay short visits while an engine runs.

What I would do it take a bit of 1/2 inch heater hose, plant one end at my ear, and CAREFULLY move the other end around (not snagging moving components, or getting wound into the fan belt(s)) and try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

I didn't hear a rod knock.............plus rod knocks don't pay short visits while an engine runs.

What I would do it take a bit of 1/2 inch heater hose, plant one end at my ear, and CAREFULLY move the other end around (not snagging moving components, or getting wound into the fan belt(s)) and try to isolate where the noise is coming from.

I would try to do that if the engine was still in the car and running :) It is now sitting on an engine hoist, and the wiring is a ball in the trunk of my car!

Did you ever start it up before?

How long did it sit before you started it up?

It might be noise due to low oil pressure. There is possible damage there but not 100% certain. Rod knock from what I have been told sounds like it's coming from the middle of the engine.

Unfortunately if it rod knock, then you are looking at an engine rebuild b/c you have to replace the worn parts.

What did the oil look like when you drained it?

BW