Ultimate Subaru Message Board

92 Loyale pw quit working HELP!!!

Okay heres the short story. Yesterday I got into my beast and turned the key to on to roll the windows down. Usually they would go right down, but nothing happened. I turned the car all the way on so it was running and the windows worked. Although I had to reach over to get the passenger side switch. For the past 5yrs that I have owned the car the relays for the other three windows have been weakening but still worked. So I am on the road driving and wanted to roll up passenger side and the switch worked again just fine. I got home and wanted to put both windows up and nothing again(car was running). I went inside the house and came back out an hour later and turned the car to on, they rolled up. My question is, is there a short? Is this a relay problem? or Is this all in the switch?

Thanks in advance

Josh

clean your connections/switch and contacts as much as you can. not all that experienced with the loyale, i've never had to remove one of those. but, remove the switch and clean it, sometimes it's that simple. also, i was a bit confused. when the windows "don't go up", does that mean no matter which switch you use...drivers side or passengers side...the windows won't go up? or is it only the drivers side that won't operate the windows? if that's the case, then it's obviously related to the drivers side switch circuit.

Yeah, the switches get dirty. I would clean them first to see if that fixes the problem. It's not a short, but could be an open circuit (blown fuse or a broken wire, for instance).

To clean a switch, take the door panel off and remove the switch panel with a screwdriver. Then lay it on a towel or large cloth and take it apart. Be careful, especially with the drivers side switch - there are little parts in there that can fly off - that's why the towel. Then you can clean up the contacts, which are on little rocker arms. Scrub all contacts with a pencil eraser, put it back together and it should be good to go.

I removed the switch and cleaned the contacts. Plugged the switch back in and nothing. The front pass. side window is the only one that will work and that is by using its own switch. I tried the back two and they will not work. When the switch is unplugged the front pass. side will not work. My only guess on that is an incomplete circuit. Just for reference the switch that was removed and cleaned was the drivers side.

The front passenger switch still may have a problem since it has to pass the power also from the switch on the driver's side. Without checking for voltage at the switch it is just a guess as to where the problem is. You could try swapping the front switch with the rear ones to see if that helps. Most likely those switches are dirty also put broken wires in the door jamb is another common trouble.