Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Impreza Outback... Worth it?

Hey, I am looking to buy a 99 Impreza Outback and I was wondering what all of your thoughts were on it. It's pretty much exactly what I want, AWD for the mountains this winter, and more space than a sedan but not as big as a wagon. Now the only catch is the one I've been offered has 179,000 miles with a clean Carfax (no accidents) for $3,999. The miles are a concern, but I never plan on taking it outside the area I live in. What kind of things should I look at when I go and test drive it? Any input is much appreciated, thanks!

2.2 Here are the specs...

Equipment:

* 2.2L H4 FI Engine

* Manual Transmission

* All Wheel Drive

* CD & Tape Player

* 4 Doors

Color: Ext: Silver / Int: Grey

Miles: 179,509

Details:

This Silver Subaru features: All-Wheel-Drive, Manual Transmission, CD Player, Tape Player, Power Windows, Power Locks, Air Conditioning, and much more.

I could get a Subaru with less miles for about the same price, but I want to get the BEST car I can get. I don't drive very far, as work and school is only a few blocks away, I just need the best car to get me up and down mountains in one piece. Thanks =D:banana:

Yes it would be. That engine is kind of rare, one of the harder ones to obtain. They were only used from 99-01 in the Impreza and 99 in the Lego before everything went to the EJ25. And for some reason the cars with this motor are the worst I have experienced with electrical gremlins and then availabilty of parts such as ECUs.

Yes it would be. That engine is kind of rare, one of the harder ones to obtain. They were only used from 99-01 in the Impreza and 99 in the Lego before everything went to the EJ25. And for some reason the cars with this motor are the worst I have experienced with electrical gremlins and then availabilty of parts such as ECUs.

So that's a bad thing, eh? Thanks for help guys.

when he says "worst i have seen" that's true but misleading for new to subaru people. it's the "worst of the best". the EJ22, 2.2 is a fantastic engine. you can't get much closer to a gauranteed 200,000 mile engine. and i agree the 99 and up years are my least favorite, but they are still excellent motors. the 95-98 2.2's are much nicer in varying ways from a picky, mechanic, i work on these things all the time point of view. but for your purposes this is still a great engine. not nearly as bad as the EJ25 or many other engines/makes out there.

this is a great car, great engine. the 2.2 is well known as a reliability machine. stick with the 2.2 over the 2.5, you're doing yourself a favor. it is an odd ball year, but thing is you won't likely have to replace it. and if you do you have options. if it's an automatic transmission i would bet that would have issues before the engine. the auto trans are reliable and excellent, but they are more likely to have issues than the motor in my experience.

Two main items to ask about and address. when test driving, drive in very tight circles, slowly in the parking lot. if it feels like it's binding (wanting to stop/slow down), then the center diff (manual trans) or AWD clutch packs (auto trans) are problematic and you'll want them to fix it or move on. also ask about the timing belt maintenance. it should be on it's 3rd timing belt by now, there's no way to know how old it is. i'd want a new belt, new water pump and to have all the timing pulleys inspected (at least one will need replacing - most likely the cogged idler will be noisey). this is an interference engine with a 60,000 mile timing belt replacement interval. if one of those pulleys seizes or the water pump blows, that takes the timing belt and engine with it. so a thorough timing belt job is due and that typically runs $600-$800 at the dealer. The dealer should be willing to do this for you before you buy...actually i bet they've already installed the timing belt. if they have not though, i would specifically ask about the pulleys, at 180,000 miles i guarantee one needs replaced at least. if they're willing to do the water pump and timing belt for free, i'd offer to pay for a new pulley or two as needed, they are highly unlikely to include that.

as far as price. don't ask here, we typically buy cars very cheap on these boards. my OBS was $3,500 a few years ago with 60,000 and i just bought a 97 impreza for a friend this year for $3,000 with 80,000 on it. thing is the OBS are harder to find than other vehicles but they are nice. my wife adores hers, she absolutely loves (as i do) that it's not a full size wagon, but very practical and functional for her. we can fit both our mountain bikes in the back. you are paying "top dollar" but if it's in great condition, is what you want and has a warranty then tear it up. you're getting a great vehicle. the 98 and earlier are nicer like he just mentioned from a picky perspective, i agree, but i think the stats are in your favor. any time you buy something with 180,000 miles on it you'd have to be a goober to think it's "like new", but this is a great pick for buying a used 180,000 mile vehicle. keep in mind the dealer should knock off some of that price. my buddy bought a truck this week for $7,000 when the "sticker price" said $10,000. they make massive bank on used vehicles, much more than new, particularly trade in like this probably is. they should easily come down $1000 - $500 if you like playing the game. stop at the library or book store and glance through a book about buying cars, previous car salesmen have good advice. thing is...play that price game FIRST - then find out about having them due the timing belt. they will include the timing belt, it is only fair given that at 180,000 miles it should have been replaced 3 times already by their own books.

it's a great car, i would check it out.

The recommended timing belt change interval on a 1999 Outback Sport is 105k miles.
good call. everything still stands. i'd want a new timing belt, it's nearly due and if it was replaced around 100k the pulleys/water pump should still be addressed. you're asking the water pump and pulleys to go to 300k if you don't replace them with the next timing belt. that is risky.

That's too much money unless some very serious maintenence has been done recently on that car, and unless it's in nearly perfect shape.

For that much money it should be totally clean with no rust or dents, and good paint, have recent brakes & exhaust work, timing belt, water pump, and possibly struts. If those are original they're probably not far from blowing. It should also have relatively new tires.

If any of that is lacking, I'd walk as there is bound to be a much better deal coming along.

Just to be sure you know, the Impreza doesn't have more room than a sedan. When I think of a sedan, I think of a 4-door full-size car, like a Legacy or a Taurus or an Accord or something like that. 4 door Imprezas aren't really sedans, they're 4 door compacts. And an Impreza is certainly a compact car. It's not too bad, but adults will probably not fit comfortably in the back seat. The front isn't too bad, but like most compact cars the seats and ammenities are not all that robust. If you're used to bigger cars, you might miss it.

I like driving my Impreza more than I liked driving my last Legacy wagon, but it's not quite as comfortable.