Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey Guys,

We just replaced our fuel pump and the thing is making an odd noise. It is pumping fuel but making alot of noise. Any help or direction would be welcomed as we are doing all of our own repairs now...One more question: We replaced the rotors and brake pads and now it sounds like scraping even when the brakes are not applied...any ideas?

Thanks for the help, Angel :)

Was this a DIY project or did you have someone do the work? I don't ask to question your ability if you did it yourself, more that maybe you could describe what you did in detail if you did it yourself (specifically the brakes) but the pump could be as simple as using a non OEM part (such as Checker or Advanced auto parts).

Brakes can take awhile to break in (no pun intended), new pads still have little ridges on them that need to wear down. Try getting up to highway speeds and come to a controlled quick stop (making sure nobody is behind you). Several of those should take care of things, I had a guy at a brake shop tell me it can take up to 200km before they are smooth, but that a few stops like that can really speed up the process.

If you cleaned the brake parts and reinstalled them properly there should be no other reason that they are dragging.

Montana,

Our friend did the fuel pump and the brakes. We replaced the fuel pump with a Master pump from Auto Zone...but he put it on for us...we have done our own brakes before on another car and have not experienced the sound we are now...we're thinking of having a look at them ourselves...we do not know how to bleed the brakes and we are wondering if that could be a problem...

Angel

Was this a DIY project or did you have someone do the work? I don't ask to question your ability if you did it yourself, more that maybe you could describe what you did in detail if you did it yourself (specifically the brakes) but the pump could be as simple as using a non OEM part (such as Checker or Advanced auto parts).

Thank you Kilroy...We are hoping to figure this out soon...I don't think it is the issue you have given us but maybe you are right...we'll try what you said out and I'll get back to you....

Angel

Brakes can take awhile to break in (no pun intended), new pads still have little ridges on them that need to wear down. Try getting up to highway speeds and come to a controlled quick stop (making sure nobody is behind you). Several of those should take care of things, I had a guy at a brake shop tell me it can take up to 200km before they are smooth, but that a few stops like that can really speed up the process.

If you cleaned the brake parts and reinstalled them properly there should be no other reason that they are dragging.

LGT,something else to check with the brakes is the emergency brake system. A way to check this is to get rolling and then pull sharply on the e-brake,if the sound disappears you need to look to see if the e-brake system is operating correctly,more help is around here if needed on this forum. I will be honest and say that having worked in dealerships and having customers requesting aftermarket fuel pumps be installed they have been nothing but problematic,I have only had success with true OEM fuel pumps,this is especially true with intank pumps and doesn't matter if it's Ford,GM,Chrysler,or Subaru.I believe it's the vein tolerances on aftermarket pumps that cause the problems you are experiencing,noisiness.They also don't typically last as long as OE,whereas I could get over 100000 miles on a Taurus fuel pump a pump from Napa would only go 1/2 that at quite the price.

The price difference even if you're broke isn't enough to justify the inferior pump,it's a pain to drop a tank and change the pump.If you can find out if an aftermarket pump was installed resign yourself for now to a noisy pump,you may check to make sure the tank straps were tightened up fully and not vibrating.Wish you luck