Ultimate Subaru Message Board

99 Legacy Wagon - Should I buy it?

Hello,

Looking to buy my first Subaru, a 1999 Legacy Wagon 30th year aniv edition:

- 105k miles

- 2.2L

- auto tranny

The car seems like it is in great shape, seller claims "Purchased new at dealership, original owner, perfectly maintained with all verifiable receipts."

Here is the link: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&nid=443&tab=list/view&ad=322870

I'm happy with the price, and I am all set to pull the trigger on this, but I have a few concerns about this being a 99. After reading around on the forum it seems like this year might not be a good purchase?

I haven't driven it yet because it is 1.5 hours away, but if this is a sound buy what should I look for when I test it? I never thought I'd be this excited about buying an 8-year-old "station wagon" :)

Any help is appreciated here, thanks!

Hello Jacko and welcome.gif to the board!

It being a 2.2L is a bonus because of the potential HG issue of the 2.5L.

Of the issues posted with '99's, there seem to be some with a slow to engage into drive issue on the autos. Also some of the speedo heads went wacky.

Definitely check it for torque bind and that the FWD (front wheel drive) fuse is not installed.

edit: oh yes, it is also due for a timing belt, and I believe this an interference engine, so if the timing belt has not been done yet that should be done immediately if you get it, and there are several other maintenance items that are prudent to do at the same time.

Thanks for the welcome Porcupine, I bought the 99 tonight and drove it home! :clap:

They had replaced the timing belt and all of the other maintenance was up to date, tires were new, and the speedo was fixed at 50k miles. I couldn't detect any problems with the transmission, shifting was fine, and everything else was in great shape.

To top it off they came down on the price, so I couldn't be happier. :headbang:

Come to think of it I did have to replace the speedo head at 122000 and very occasionally it is slow to move up into drive. I replaced starter and 2 wheel bearings - on same wheel!

It is my favorite car of all time I give it awful punishment and it takes it like a man. It has to stay outside in Buffalo and elsewhere and always starts first go. The engine light comes on occasionally but I disconnect the battery to put it off since I cannot detect anything wrong. The AT oil temp light blinks occasionally in hot weather.

I run it on middle grade not regular now.

It has done 180000.

Believe me I view cars as work-horses and treat them real hard but I have come to love this one.

In England we rarely change the engine oil sometimes not for 10 years - it is a myth to sell the oil I think - and I am the same with this in America though I do change the transmission oil.

I keep a spare alternator in the trunk, that I got on this list, I don't know why.

Gil