Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight assembly - 1996 vs. 1997

A local bone yard took in a 1996 Legacy OB recently, so I went scavenging for compatible replacement parts for my 1997 Legacy OB. Among other things, I pulled the headlight assemblies which fit perfectly in my 97 OB even thought there is a different part # for the 96 OB model.

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the 96 OB and 97 OB headlight assemblies?

The only difference I can see is the vertical adjusting screw on the 96 has a ‘gauge’ of sorts, while the 97 has the standard screw. Both units use the same bulbs.

I almost did not purchase the assemblies since the bone yard and every online parts dealer I checked with indicated the 96 assembly was not compatible with the 97.

Thanks in advance,

mp

Until this post I would have said I was 99% certain that 95-96 Legacy and Legacy Outback models used a one piece headlight and turn signal assembly, and +97 used a two piece setup like the impreza had. Is what you have one piece combination or the two seperate?

Keith

How's the light from the one-piece unit? I'm pondering downgrading my awful, awful '98 2-piece lights with broken adjusters.

I've never been happy with the light output from my 97 one-piece. I find using fog lights for supplemental light is necessary.

Cheers,

mp