Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Bucking at low RPMs and sometimes wont start.

Hey guys...I have come to the Subaru Repair Geniuses once again with hopes that you all can get me out of yet another bind.

93 Loyale 2wd

When I come to a stop sometimes, the car starts bucking and coughing and eventually cuts off. Sometimes it starts up sometimes it putters when I start it, and sometimes it works fine. I have checked all the connections on the distributor and everything looks fine.

I do notice a smell of fuel like it is running really rich. Does this sound to you like a vacuum leak of some sort? Maybe that crazy boot that is at the top of the intake? There is a ton of tape on it from the last owner, but I dont see or hear any leaks there.

Would love to hear your ideas and suggestions as to what I should look at next.

Nick

Well...I think that I figured out the problem. The coil and coil wire have gone bad. I had someone press the gas while I was looking under the car and I got shocked! That made me think....

I looked at the coil and had them do it again...sure enough, there were sparks coming from under the boot to the coil bracket. The coil terminal has a crack in it. I have ordered a coil and a new set of wires....I am 98% sure this is the problem.

It all has to do with the path of least resistance.

I will let you know tomorrow when I install the coil and the wires.